Idalia storm watch

So far everything looks like it will either go over top of us or get real close. Since we live a couple of short blocks from the ocean we will at least get the equivalent of a strong northeastern if not a hurricane.
I feel good about our old concrete house but at some point I need to give myself enough time to put up metal shutters over the windows. Age and arthritis tends to slow me down so it might have to be this evening. I need to put away anything that could be a hazard and store outside chairs and table first.
I already bought some buckets at Lowes to catch the water from roof leaks and some plastic containers to put in the freezer for ice in case the electricity goes out.
It's always exciting this time of year. :D

Cheers!

Outer bands now at Sarasota it appears.

Looks like Idalia is going to stay far enough offshore to be mostly a non-event for the Sarasota / Bradenton area. If I lived north of Tampa I'd be battening down the hatches! :hide:

Looks like Idalia is going to stay far enough offshore to be mostly a non-event for the Sarasota / Bradenton area. If I lived north of Tampa I'd be battening down the hatches! :hide:

I live in in Panama City, I have kids in Bradenton, looks like it might split the difference and just brush both of us. The down side for them is, the wind will push water at them, that's bad as the live up a canal on the water. Hoping the water doesn't get to their home.

Last edited:
• when the hurricane was directly west of Sarasota, there was minimal local impact

• winds increased overnight; not quite to tropical storm level; still gusty now (6 AM)

• received 3" of rain - no big deal for Florida.

• lost a single frond from my royal palm (Irma: 3, Ian: 7)

• no power loss (Irma: 1 day; Ian: 3 days)

Looks like there is going to be substantial infrastructure damage in Florida's Big Bend region. :(

Last edited:
We got minimal wind for the most part in Tampa. Also about 3 inches of rain. Last band coming through now it appears.
Looks like a 130 mph hit in the Big Bend.

Tampa Bay got lucky again -I thought we'd get a bit more but it stayed west enough. Will be interesting seeing storm surge impacts/high water marks. The few video feeds I've seen are not near the worse I've seen over the years but probably eye opening to many of the newer residents.

The night was a little noisy here in St Pete -heard an explosion around 2am that shook my house but no preceding or following sound and no power outages visible to me.

ETA: Getting some video and images from Ring and friends. Lower-lying known flood prone neighborhoods might be in trouble if the afternoon high water is already lapping at some of their doors. Won't likely be feet but anyflood water in your house is a bad thing. Quite a few flooded cars as the streets are even lower.

Last edited:
Not too bad in Ocala right now with the eye pretty much due west of us. 25 to 40 winds and rain. Being 40 miles inland does help.

Up here in N.E. Fla. not much to report ...... yet. A little wind and light rain so far.

I'm a bit north of you and saw a local weather report early this morning that said it had taken a little turn east so I was up at 5:30 in the dark and rain to put up some metal shutters. Now the reports have it going north of us as it heads east to the ocean. So I got a little wet but felt better knowing I would be secure. I'll be taking them down later today. It's only a 30 minute job. Looks like we dodged another one. OK by me.

Cheers!

No kidding!

SE Georgia looks like it will get hit hard.

This is my hometown in the center of the eye a few hours ago. I’m monitoring Facebook but haven’t seen many local damage reports yet. Winds peaked there at 62 mph.

Attachments

• IMG_4080.JPG
    IMG_4080.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 37
My Daughter and her husband live on the water in Bradenton, it was close, but they got no damage.
Pictures of back yard and front yard, but no water in house.
BTW, There is a road under water in the front road picture, you can see a mailbox by the telephone pole, the road runs between the Mail box and the fence.

Attachments

• Water Around Home.png
    Water Around Home.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I hope for the best to all of you. It is devastating to see the destruction and I feel for all the people going through it.

We have friends that had to be in Savanah today. They arrived by air this morning at 2am. We haven't heard from them, but I was wondering how sever it was there. Does anyone know hard to actually to get much info on that area.

My mother lives there and her area lost power, though her building has a generator. There was wind and rain but nothing extraordinary. Street, I would suggest looking around the Savannah Morning News website and the WTOC television station website.

My mother lives there and her area lost power, though her building has a generator. There was wind and rain but nothing extraordinary. Street, I would suggest looking around the Savannah Morning News website and the WTOC television station website.

Thank You Markola.

Report from my Tallahassee progeny this morning:

-Spent the night with friends in a 60's era house a few miles north of the FSU campus
-Landfall about 60 miles SE of Tallahassee ~7:45 am EDT
-At 11:15 am EDT got a message the storm had passed. Power stayed up, no meaningful debris
-3:45 pm EDT-back at the FSU campus, good condition. The oldest's apartment 5 miles east of campus was OK, never lost power.

However, the mostly rural counties east of Tallahassee are in bad shape. Population is modest compared to other areas, but a very difficult situation for those residents. Check out the outage maps and drill down by state and county. https://poweroutage.us/

My Daughter and her husband live on the water in Bradenton, it was close, but they got no damage...

Living on the water is great, but it's nerve-wracking when the water starts to rise. I'm not on the gulf or a canal, but do live next to a pond with good drainage. I was surprised how much the water rose in the pond during Hurricane Ian. My house is about 8 feet above the water. It would take a spectacular weather event to flood my house. :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom