Hurricane Michael

socca

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Placeholder in case Tropical Storm Michael becomes a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico as predicted. Here is a convenient place to watch the action: GOES-East : Gulf of Mexico. :popcorn:

Not that I am too concerned about it and its effects in the ATL area normally, but I am quite happy that we will out of the local area with our move to flyover country!

Cool link to GOES, I love that stuff.

Last edited:
Last edited:
We're watching the possible affects of Michael since this Friday night our son Michael is getting married. Hopefully we'll just get some cool, dry weather out of it since it looks like it'll go east of us.

Really!!! Dang it, every trip I've taken this year has been marred by weather. I'm planning to fly to Panama City Friday, and stay on a boat at the marina for the Strummin Man Ukulele Festival. But big picture thinking, guess a ukulele festival isn't that high crisis priority......

Watching it closely from Tampa. 1 hour inland, so never worry about the flooding aspect.
It does appear to be rapidly intensifying.
Pray for our neighbors in the Big Bend/Panhandle.

Best wishes to our at risk members.
Another reason to stay up north and deal with the snow.

Praying that this does not intensify. Global Warming is real and is only going to get worse unless we decide to actually do something. Way too many of these storms.

Whoa, Mike's Weather Page is intense! Bookmarking. Watching storm coverage now. This is very threatening to the Panhandle area. Hope everyone is off those barrier islands.

The NY Times had a great article going through the nuts and bolts as to why rebuilding keeps happening in frequently flooded areas. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/08/us/fema-disaster-recovery-climate-change.html

Bottom lines seem to be 1) Dealing with the situation in the here and now has guaranteed bad effects immediately to the persons making the decisions; kicking the can into the future means *maybe* the bad effects won't happen for another 3 lifetimes, and they will almost certainly happen to someone else; and 2) Greed.

I found this live beach cam at the Holiday Inn Resort in Panama City Beach, FL. If indeed this is a live feed, one of the outlying cloud bands from Hurricane Michael can be seen in the distance. Looks peaceful there now; Wednesday may be a different story. :(

140mph currently and could even strengthen a little more.
Prayers for all the folks in the Panhandle.

It looks to be a quick moving hurricane, not sitting in place and dumping rain like Florence did, FWIW.

We live on Sarasota Bay .We had no rain just some gusts .The storm surge was minimal .It did not even breach our sea wall.

It's track is right over Dad's house, and unfortunately now is projected to have at least 70mph winds!

I was not happy to see the winds go up from 120mph last night to 145mph this morning!

Looks like it will still be a Cat 1 hurricane when it hits central GA.

Last edited:
The last few hurricanes have hit places I saw on one of the beach or vacation 'House Hunters' type shows.

My sister in Tarpon Springs, which is just on the periphery of the storm, said the storm surge was causing flooding in Pinellas County, blocking some roads.

My sis and BIL are on a cruise right now. According to their itinerary, they are cruising the north coast of Cuba, so there should not be too much of an impact.

Back
Top Bottom