Idioms that Need to be Retired

Reminds me of the days before PC's, Servers, and IP networking - Some terms, off the top of my head, that I think have died out "for the most part". Some may still fit to a degree. But there were thousands of them back in the day of mainframe data centers and networking.

Bootstrap
EOJ
MF's
FEP's
Bus and Tag
Channels
MIP's
SNA
Bisync
SWAP Space
Timeshare
Job Breakdown
Abend
EOJ
Big Iron
Punch Cards
Paper Tapes
Mag Tapes
MVS
VM
JES
DASD
LPAR's
Partitions
Green Screens
Bipolar
CMOS
Mass Store
MTO

That's enough for now. Or all I can think of in 10 mins. :)

Probably the oldest computer idiom is "bug" as in chasing a "bug" in the system. Probably dates to the mid 1940's. Supposedly, it dates from the days when a computer was built with vacuum tubes. Supposedly, an actual bug (as in insect) could cause issues within the system.

Even today, a "bug in the system" seems an appropriate expression, even though the original meaning is nearly lost in antiquity. YMMV

Black Friday shopping is "For the Birds"

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 9.47.59 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 9.47.59 PM.jpg
    822.7 KB · Views: 6
Yea, I've been following this thread and it has devolved into a random list of idioms and old terms with little relation or rationale to OP's premise of "need to be retired". Many listed are just fine, IMHO.

And everyone knows what a dial-in number for a Zoom/Webex/Teams meeting is.

And more specifically, from the OP: "need to be retired" BECAUSE they are a "popular idiom that has become outdated and should be retired from common usage."

Seems to me, many of these suggestions are just ones people are tired of hearing, or don't like.

I'll argue a bit that just because something outdated, it should be dropped - if it is something that is well known historically, I think it still serves the purpose. How many people have actually "led a horse to water...", or ever had to "Hold your horses!", but they understand the connection. Even though fewer people stitch up clothes as a repair, I think they get "A stitch in time...", just like "an ounce of prevention....". And "Stop the presses!" I think is known from context and old movies?

But things like "pumping the brakes" (but to be honest, I think I've only heard people say "Put/Slam on the brakes!" are pretty outdated.

....Another one that should go is:

"You sound like a broken record."

Used to mean that someone is being repetitive and monomanical in some assertion.

A couple of problems with this one. First, a broken record would not be playable. It would literally be in pieces and would not work on the turntable. A better description would be, "you sound like a record with a skip in it."

Second, while vinyl records are making a comeback among audio purists, ...

I think OP is being too strict to say a skipping record is not a broken record, and that broken must imply "into separate pieces". If it doesn't work, it is "broken".

Now, for a bit of thread drift: I'd say that vinyl records are making a comeback among self-proclaimed audio purists. Many others prefer them for various reasons, nostalgia, the nice album artwork and liner notes. I have some old records that aren't available in digital format, and I don't play often enough to digitize, so I use my turntable for those. Some just think it's cool, and probably don't really know why they have them.

But the "audio purist" is a debate that will go down a rabbit hole, and certainly is not for this thread, and probably not worth it's own thread, as it will just go in oft-tread circles. "So we won't beat that drum, Ludwig!".

-ERD50

Pumping the brakes if much better for your car than riding your brakes down a hill. It allows them to cool, prevents the cheap arse rotor from overheating and warping. Yes, modern day car transmissions downshift to slow you down, but not always. Pumping your brakes also warns the drivers behind you when they see flashing brake lights. Yes, with ABS braking when you need to come to a stop in a hurry, you firmly apply pressure to your brake pedal. ( I think just short of slamming is a good way to put it.)

I caught myself saying to DW the other day, “Warm up the TV; I’ll be right down.” We both got a chuckle out of that.

But nowadays, many take a bit of time to boot up, so not so very different?

I love how my old analog table top radios are instant (well < 1 second?) on. I have one on the light switch circuit of my workshop, turn on the light, and I have radio.

-ERD50

A really nice feature they have on some trucks these days is "auto 4wd". I can still select 4H or 4L with a touch of a button, but with a touch of another button (4 auto) it will stay in 2wd unless it detects slippage and then "immediately" engage 4wd temporarily. Great in the rain. Probably even better in the snow but that's not an issue around here usually. :)

True. I doubt that few here have heard of locking hubs, let alone have done it. And you're right - a real PIA. Especially in knee deep mud.

The very first car I drove was a 1967 Jeep CJ-5, which required you to get out and manually lock the front hubs to have four wheel drive.

However, I seem to recall the phrase, "Don't touch that dial!" Somehow, "Don't touch that knob!" sounds kinda dirty :)

Coming from a chemical plant environment, that phrase brings back a few bad memories. Those gave rise to seeing the following short segment from a Stimpy cartoon occasionally. Translating to Southern, it's called, "Don't mash that button"!

Don't touch the red button.gif

Last edited:
And more specifically, from the OP: "need to be retired" BECAUSE they are a "popular idiom that has become outdated and should be retired from common usage."

Seems to me, many of these suggestions are just ones people are tired of hearing, or don't like.

I'll argue a bit that just because something outdated, it should be dropped - if it is something that is well known historically, I think it still serves the purpose. How many people have actually "led a horse to water...", or ever had to "Hold your horses!", but they understand the connection. Even though fewer people stitch up clothes as a repair, I think they get "A stitch in time...", just like "an ounce of prevention....". And "Stop the presses!" I think is known from context and old movies?

But things like "pumping the brakes" (but to be honest, I think I've only heard people say "Put/Slam on the brakes!" are pretty outdated.

I think OP is being too strict to say a skipping record is not a broken record, and that broken must imply "into separate pieces". If it doesn't work, it is "broken".

Now, for a bit of thread drift: I'd say that vinyl records are making a comeback among self-proclaimed audio purists. Many others prefer them for various reasons, nostalgia, the nice album artwork and liner notes. I have some old records that aren't available in digital format, and I don't play often enough to digitize, so I use my turntable for those. Some just think it's cool, and probably don't really know why they have them.

But the "audio purist" is a debate that will go down a rabbit hole, and certainly is not for this thread, and probably not worth it's own thread, as it will just go in oft-tread circles. "So we won't beat that drum, Ludwig!".

-ERD50

Show me a thread without drift and I'll show you a thread that has run its course.

Pumping the brakes if much better for your car than riding your brakes down a hill. It allows them to cool, prevents the cheap arse rotor from overheating and warping. Yes, modern day car transmissions downshift to slow you down, but not always. Pumping your brakes also warns the drivers behind you when they see flashing brake lights. Yes, with ABS braking when you need to come to a stop in a hurry, you firmly apply pressure to your brake pedal. ( I think just short of slamming is a good way to put it.)

"Stomp and steer." I think that one still w*rks when it comes to brakes. YMMV

Measure twice, cut once.

I guess that really still applies. I still think about it everytime I'm about to cut a 2x4, etc.

Last edited:
Measure twice, cut once.

I guess that really still applies. I still think about it everytime I'm about to cut a 2x4, etc.

I like "Measure with a micrometer and cut with an ax" as it seems applicable to much of financial planning but YMMV.

Another old one but still very relevant today.

"righty tighty, lefty loosey"

Unsafe at Any Speed.

Who said it? And what was it?

No fair Googling etc.

Back
Top Bottom