If we're ER'd, why are we saving?

It is interesting that the folks who don't think a cc community is in their future are males.  Life's reality is that it is usually the women in the family take care of their men until they can't cope or the male passes away.  Humm....  
Another factor is that men usually don't get really old. And senile men die fast. Not necessarily so with women.

Mikey

A continuing care community can be a great place for a widdower, the ladies give them A LOT of attention.

My grandmother has been in an assisted living facility, first on the independent side, now on the fully-assisted side, since 1994, and she's now 95 years old. It has only been in the last year or so that she's begun to lose her mental faculties, and, unfortunately, now has inoperable bowel cancer. :'( (we don't know how long she has, but she's been "ready to go" -- as she's told me on numerous occasions -- for years).

Nevertheless, she has absolutely loved the building in which she's been living these past 10 years, even more so since my grandfather died in 1996. She has eaten well, enjoyed countless hours of bridge, majjong (sp?), music performances by local schools, large print books, shopping trips by bus to the malls (she never learned how to drive), etc... I have no doubt in my mind that living in the building extended her life substantially, allowing her to spend time with her two great grandaughters (not to mention the myriad of other family members who live near the building, including my parents).

I want to find a place like Twin Towers in Cinci.
My paternal grandparents enjoyed the same lifestyle near Cinci at S.E.M. Laurels in an independent-living apartment for about a decade.

Another factor is that men usually don't get really old. And senile men die fast. Not necessarily so with women.
Mikey
Don't count on it... after my grandmother's death, my grandfather gradually slipped into senile dementia. It took four years for us to realize that he couldn't handle living in the apartment, and he lived in the full-care facility for another 14 years.

I have to admit, though, that they were the happiest years of his life.

I am steering back to the original topic, unlike my usual
procedure :)

We are no longer saving and do not intend to.
However, we do intend to maintain our present net worth indefinitely. It was increasing but has now
flattened out. The big dangers to this plan are
high inflation or large uninsured medical expenses.
The unknown on the plus side is whether I will inherit
anything. Not counting on it.

John Galt

Back
Top Bottom