If you're really, really bored...

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
here's 5 minutes and 54 seconds of carrot harvesting.. you're welcome :dance:

And the accompanying electronica/disco music matches the excitement of the operation.....

I must be more bored than I thought - I actually found it really interesting. But editing it down to about 1:30 would have improved it significantly. Thank goodness for being able to skip forward.

The whole mechanical harvesting industry is pretty interesting. Our company works with a lot of folks who engineer these machines.

I enjoyed it also. I had no idea how they were harvested. Never really thought about it. I agree it could have been shorter.

Even with all that efficiency and cool machinery - it was still 5 workers to do the harvest. 1 to drive the truck, 1 to drive the harvester, 2 to sort through the picked carrots and even out the conveyor belt, and one to aim the conveyor belt. But now I know what happens before I get those little organic baby carrots in the 2 lb bag, at Costco.

I enjoy this kind of thing! Occasionally I will watch an episode of How It's Made, too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_It's_Made

I've probably seen over a hundred episodes.

In my w*rk life, I participated in the making of all sorts of stuff:

- Food and beverage cans
- Plastic bottles and milk cases
- Various automotive parts, such as window frames, assorted clips, catalytic convertors, trunk/floor liners, and various interior panels
- Creamed corn
- Tomato juice
- Customized cardboard boxes/shipping containers
- Various-sized wooden dowels/rods, which were then sent elsewhere to be finished into handles for hand tools
- Metal cabinets for appliances/electronics
- Semiconductors

Some of that was pretty low-tech: presses, benders, saws, forklifts, strong back, weak mind...

I like the book better. More carrot-ure development. :nonono:

I do like things like this, it's interesting to see how little corners of the world we never think about are handled Here's another:

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom