I'm poor

It won't all get done by move in. Looking more closely at the paint it was "decent" on 3 sides. But the south side was fairly faded. That will be a next Spring/Summer job. The shower will be whenever I get in the que. My office partner is a high end contractor. He will pull some strings & favors for me. The rest of it I think i can get done before full move in. It will probably take me 2 months to fully get moved.

Reading through the HOA docs is enlightening. Apparently garbage cans out for a extra day is a killing offense. One woman went to the board to complain about landscapers taking too long & being too loud. The ARC looks as if they all quit en mass. Not feeling the love I would guess. The Reserves are 50% funded. 9% increases baked in every year. It looks as if they only started funding reserves 2 years ago. The development is 13 years old

I did the same thing 11 years ago. We found a community of 185 “duets” and were looking at a few for sale. I noticed a guy with a pod in his driveway and asked him if he was going to list the house. About a month later we moved in and he never put it on the market. We came to a fair price and the appraisal came in 10,000 under so lucky me.

Signed the papers today. All electronic by Docusign. Then wired to $$$ over. There is that nagging feeling in the back of my mind. What if that wiring instructions was a scam. I took it right from the 'secure' title company site. And verified on a phone call. But she called me....

* that how they get you

Signed the papers today. All electronic by Docusign. Then wired to $$$ over. There is that nagging feeling in the back of my mind. What if that wiring instructions was a scam. I took it right from the 'secure' title company site. And verified on a phone call. But she called me....

* that how they get you

Congratulations, Scrapr! I am sure everything was OK. But, if you are concerned then I suppose you could call the title company tomorrow about it.

What fun to have closed on your dream home! I hope you have a wonderful time living there and fixing it up the way you want it to be.

Well this housing arbitrage is fun. The "old" house hit the market today. 15 showings. Around three people wanted to offer prior to seeing it. I wanted to let the market decide where the price will land. But no escalator clauses. Give me your best price & terms on your first shot. So showings Fri/Sat/Sun & evaluate offers on Monday. We priced it a bit low (the house 3 doors down sold in Feb for this price) & tried to get a mania/bidding frenzy going. They were showing every half hour. The next appointments were in the street as the previous parties were exiting. One offer for so far for $30k over asking....but I'm not sure on the financing.

It took a fair amount of work to depersonalize the home. 1 full day on putting away the Swarovski crystal figures. But we sold the big house 4 years ago so I tried to follow the script. The upgrades we did over the years really make it stand out. I was a bit sad last night realizing the time in our home is coming to an end. Cried a bit as this was a big thing for Mrs Scrapr. She loved Bend & loved this home. I'll go back to Bend but next time as a tourist, not a local

One tip for homebuyers. If there is a video doorbell and/or camera watch your talk. I can hear a few conversations. I don't think there was anything said that would be actionable but I'd be aware of it. One fellow did say he would take anything out there. I should have interrupted them to tell them how nice everything is

Sounds like you won't be poor much longer.

Congrats Scrapr. Sounds like house will sell fast at a good price.
My ex and I are selling my DS's home in Midwest state and housing market is hot there !

We priced it about $30K under bec. it needs cosmetic work/ updates and hope to have offers to review on Monday. Because it is part of an estate - and selling "as is" we want a cash buyer if possible.

House went pending today. I accepted an offer in the middle of the range of offers. We had 13 total offers. They were coming in as the agent & I were sitting down to evaluate them. She sent me so many of the offers that one ended up in my Spam folder. Sheesh. I was mostly looking for fit in the neighborhood. I think I got that. My neighbor happens to work for the same well known company as one of the buyers. I stopped over at the neighbors before I met with the agent. Neighbor gave buyer great reviews.

Could have got more. But fit was important. Several offers included a 'Love' letter. A little about themselves & how they love the town/house. That was helpful. It was surprisingly hard to tell 12 people no. Well the agent had to make 12 phone calls. I only had to sign & initial an 11 page doc 12 times. Including 2 backup offers.

On to inspections

Congratulations on the pending sale. I hope the post-acceptance process goes smoother for you than it did for us back in the Fall of 2018. With each inspection, the buyers became more and more picky. We ended up dropping the price a bit (although still a touch over our asking price) just to get them to stop nit-picking. I would have dropped the price another 10% just to be done with it. DW loved our old house. I couldn't wait to move out of it the minute we moved in 23 years prior. :(

Last edited:
Well that worked out nicely! Your comment about feeling a little sad and even crying a little brought it right back to the reason you decided to move. You are doing splendidly with moving on with your own life after a very difficult and heartbreaking time. I hope the day to day continues to improve as you try to adjust to your new normal.

Wishing you much, much happiness as you restart your life ..go forth and prosper.

Last edited:
Well that worked out nicely! You comment about feeling a little sad and even crying a little brought it right back to the reason you decided to move. You are doing splendidly with moving on with your own life after a very difficult and heartbreaking time. I hope the day to day continues to improve as you try to adjust to your new normal.

Wishing you much, much happiness as you restart your life ..go forth and prosper.

+1
We're all on your side.

An update to this thread. I'm no longer poor...I'm rich!!!

House closed Friday & funds hit my bank account Friday afternoon. Packing up the Bend house. First load going over tomorrow. Have a u haul rented. Help on both ends. The mountain pass in between both cities is getting pounded with snow this weekend. I may have to take the "long way" which is lower elevation. It adds an hour. Plus goes over the included mileage. Ehh..

Seller of the Portland home & I have met a few times. Maybe a friendship starting? The buyers of the Bend home reached out and are going to come over this week. They have a bag of goodies for the puppy. One of them works for a local dog supply company. It's going to be a busy week. I took a few moments last night to remember all our good times here. Overall i feel good about everything. I'm super happy with the new house...plus I'm rich....again!

Good for you!!

That's great!! Glad to hear your plans are moving along.
Congrats on the new place.

Good news.
Safe travels to Portland. Enjoy your new home.

Great to hear. Enjoy your new house and the fact that you are rich again.

Back
Top Bottom