In search of... The Perfect Snow Shovel

We get 2-3 wet heavy snows in the winter. I use a grain (coal, scoop) shovel. I'm good at it, having grown up in ND. Most always the first house in the neighborhood with walks and driveways all ship shape (being retired doesn't hurt either).

Call me one of those strange folks who enjoys shoveling snow. Maybe because I'm the type that likes to see the results of my labor, and looking back at our 200ft driveway that I cleared (or, when our kids were home, we cleared), gives me a great sense of satisfaction.

I also look at it as a workout, I am aware of the heart attack risk, but since I regularly work out, get get reports on my cardio health from my cardiologist, and do not strain myself and take it easy when I do shovel - treating it like any other gym workout - I think my risk is small.

Now, with just DW and I home during the winter, I do have a 20 year old electric snowthrower to supplement shoveling, and it helps. I finally figured out how to lay out 200 feet of electrical cord to avoid running out it when using it, so it does make a difference. The main drawback is that it is only good for snow depths up to 12", but where we live we rarely get snowfalls higher than that.

We live across the road from farms, and the farmers are very diligent in clearing the road as they need to get their trucks out. Which leads to my favorite snow shoveling story. Back in the mid 90s we have a 24"+ snowfall, and in the morning I go out with our two oldest sons, who were 11 and 9 at the time, to shovel us out. After a hour we have done maybe 20% and need a break. We come in, DW takes pity on us, and volunteers to go out a do some shoveling while I recover and watch the kids. She figured even 30 minutes of her time would help us. So she puts on her pink snow suit and goes out, I round up the kids to keep them busy in our family room in the back of the house. maybe 15-20 minutes later she comes back in:

Me: I'll be ready to go out in about 10 minutes.
DW: Don't worry, its done.
Me: Done? what do you mean, done?
DW (with a smile) go take a look...

I got out - and glory be, our entire driveway is clear!

What happened? DW decided to start near the bottom, closer to the road... and one of the farmers driving by in his snow plow saw her, stopped, and said "Maam, this is too much for you to do - let me help!" So he plowed out our driveway. He refused her offer of pay, saying "we're neighbors, we need to help each other out sometimes".

After that I told her that anytime it snowed, SHE would be the first one to go out in that pink snow suit and start shoveling, as it seemed to work magic. :)

Until last year, I had a gravel driveway.

I had to tell all my friends and neighbors with snow plows NOT to plow me out. They all meant well, but moving huge piles of gravel from all over my lawn, back into the driveway, was more work than shoveling the snow myself.

walkerplow.jpg

I live in a townhouse in a cul de sac. I curse the snow plow because they take a 4-5 inch deep surface and turn in into a foot high wall of ice blocks behind my car.
Also my neighbor hires a plow and they clear out their parking spaces and dump in onto the sidewalk that I either just cleared or make it 10 times harder to clear. *$*!3&#

Back
Top Bottom