Individual stocks as a percentage of your portfolio

100% since 1993, but I do not consider it particularly speculative - stocks like KO PG JNJ MSFT ADP EMR XOM etc. I do not like owning index funds as they contain too many stocks I do not like.

Good point on the Index funds. I saw that as a horrible thing about them in the crash of 2000, heavily weighted in Tech since they HAD to own them in large bunches and Financials in 2008. Here's a 10 year snippet of Wellington vs S&P 500

http://money.cnn.com/quote/mutualfund/mutualfund.html?symb=VWELX

Last edited:
I have About 70% of Equity exposure in about 60 individual stocks well diversified by industries. I like that I can control taxes and avoid even the low index fund expenses.

Have a few of them that have been real home runs that I use for charitable giving.

None for me. I don't look for "excitement" from my portfolio, there are many other avenues for that in life. I do look to generate the best results possible and the evidence is overwhelming that people will not do that owning/trading individual stocks.

About 50% of which roughly 1/3 are MLP, which I find to expensive to hold in a mutual fund.

Zero individual stocks. 97% index funds, 3% actively managed.

I still have about 10% in my old companies stock. I've been selling it off slowly at the 0% capital gain rate when I can.

I also started donating it as my charitable giving, since it's almost all capital gains it's a very good deal.

I'm in no huge rush to get rid of it, but my long term goal is to keep any single stock under 2%.

I also have a few "hobby" stocks I keep in one IRA. Fun to watch, but they are nothing that could sink me if the companies' evaporated.

92% well diversified dividend payers, 5% speculative (used to be less before it became my home run) and 3% cash. No more than 7% in any one company.

I have better control over capital gains and total control over which stocks I invest in.

For me, about 46% of investable assets is in individual stocks.

I am at about 70% stock AA right now, so 66% of stock holdings are hand picked.

Back
Top Bottom