individual stocks vs index funds,stocks poor choice

AltaRed said:
So you are certain you can do this without any Enrons, WorldComs, etc.? Even the auditors, fund managers and analysts didn't catch these.  I hope you are right but I wouldn't bet a dime you won't have a flameout or two. And it is a whole lot more significant in a portfolio of 6-20 stocks than it is in an index.

I have done this for may years. And you are right; I have had two bankruptcies among my investees, and several take-unders which caused permanent losses. This can be avoided, but only if you stick with very established and trouble free companies, and stay with large enough companies that management take-unders in bad markets are not a problem.

But if you are a decent analyst you will have fewer of these than an index fund. The ones you do have however will make a bigger hole in your portfolio than they will make in an index. I looked at but did not buy Enron or WorldCom; many funds as you know did hold them.

So if you have say 40% safe fixed, any belly-flops will occur in the 60% of your portfolio that is exposed. If you never invest more than 5% of that 60% equity allocation going in to any position, you are never risking more than 3% on any initial position. Through success, any one position may get much larger, but that is a different, rather pleasant problem that you can make your own guidelines about. I tend not to add money to a stock in the fashion of momentum traders.

So actually, by far the greatest drawdown risk to the above equity portfolio is not from individual company risk, but from general market risk which the indexer is running anyway- and maybe actually accepting even more of it.

This doesn't bother me at all, and I consider myself careful and risk averse.

Ha

I really like the additional comments from Ha, Brewer and Nords....it is really great how this board has some good discussions :) even when this topic has been brought up a brazilion times ;)

Another point on my investments that I think Nords kinda addressed is that it just becomes too much work to invest in individual stocks with such large portfolios when you want to do other stuff...that's one of the main reasons that I will always have a significant amount in index funds...

So you are certain you can do this without any Enrons, WorldComs, etc.? Even the auditors, fund managers and analysts didn't catch these. 

I am sorry but I really hate this argument....The only worldcom and enron stock that I had in my port. was through an index :p. People were only investing in these because the stock was going up....call it what you want....people being greedy and not understanding their investments...

AltaRed said:
So you are certain you can do this without any Enrons, WorldComs, etc.? Even the auditors, fund managers and analysts didn't catch these. I hope you are right but I wouldn't bet a dime you won't have a flameout or two. And it is a whole lot more significant in a portfolio of 6-20 stocks than it is in an index.

One of the requirements for companies I invest in is that they must be successful
(earnings, dividends, reputation) in the same business for at least 10 years or so.
Companies that change businesses like Enron are not eliglble. Only small, slow changes
are acceptable. The dividend requirement would have kept me from WorldCom.

There is always a possibillity of a single company collapsing, but I think the chances
are smaller by screening for quality first. I think the chances of <GGP, KIM, WRE,
C, FO, GE, ITW, JNJ, KO, MMM etc> collapsing are considerably smaller than
my chances of buying it in an accident or medical condition, and therefore below
my consideration. If I owned an index fund full of <F, GM, INTC, ORCL, SIRI,
AAPL, EBAY etc> I would be far more worried. I consider my sleep-at-night
factor to be important, and am willing to spend a few hours each month for it.

ben said:
Now for my "fun-money" I hold only 1 single stock currently; WisdomTree Investments (WSDT.pk)
I also play with a penny stock, CAMH.OB. This is a highly speculated stock that might give you that 100x return. :-X

Thank you to all the smart stock pickers out there. Without you indexing wouldn't be such an attractive option.

JB said:
Thank you to all the smart stock pickers out there.  Without you indexing wouldn't be such an attractive option.

We might say the reverse to you. Most of the stuff I own is not included in the major indexes, which is why it is available inexpensively.

If I had your skills I'd do the same. Gotta know your strengths and mine isn't stock picking. Although my testosterone money (10% of portfolio) is up 17% ytd. Dumb luck.

Back
Top Bottom