Inexpensive Cabernet Recommendations

Jay_Gatsby

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Unfortunately, my favorite inexpensive Cabernet Sauvignon (Alexander & Fitch) is sold out at my local Trader Joe's for the foreseeable future. For those of you who have had it, any recommendations on something comparable?

The same goes for a recently discovered Chardonnay at Trader Joes (Blue Fin). They're out of that one too, so I'm looking for comparable replacements.

Had a nice Chilean cab (2001 Montes) over the weekend. I think we might have got it at Cost plus world market. Do you have those over on your end of the country? Probably wasn't to pricey, usually don't spend too much on South American wines.

Had a nice Chilean cab (2001 Montes) over the weekend. I think we might have got it at Cost plus world market. Do you have those over on your end of the country? Probably wasn't to pricey, usually don't spend too much on South American wines.

Unfortunately, I've tried a few Chilean wines and didn't care much for them. My preference is for California wines (though not too fruity). A colleague of mine recommended Stag's Leap Fay vineyard, but when I checked the price, the average bottle of 5-year old vintage seems to be going for $70.:eek: Not exactly the price point I'm seeking...

Hard to beat Yellow Tail from australia. Almost universally available including costco, target, walmart and sams club along with grocery stores. About $8-10 for a 1.5L although I think they sell regular 750's at the grocery stores.

You also cant really go wrong with a BV coastal.

How about some Washington state reds? Columbia Crest and sister winery St Michelle both make big reds in the 6-10 dollar range.

My wife and I are not fans of big cabs. We tried a bottle of Rex Goliath cab a few weeks ago and it wasn't bad; a food freindly wine that was less than $10.

My take on inexpensive is find one you like, buy a case and park it in a cool place for a couple of years. Just opened the first bottle of Berenger founders estate cab. 2004, that I think I bought for about $5/bottle a couple of years ago. Good enough for company!

How about some Washington state reds? Columbia Crest and sister winery St Michelle both make big reds in the 6-10 dollar range.

I second this. Chateau St. Michelle has a really nice, not too fruity, cabsav which generally runs between $11-15, and Trader Joe's carries it (at least in Seattle and CA they did)

Good suggestions, particularly the one about buying wine by the case. When TJ's has a wine that is popular, it sells out quickly and they can't get any more of it for at least 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom