Info/Warnings/Horror stories about North Port, FL ???

Quacker

Dryer sheet wannabe
I was recently down in the Sarasota/Bradenton/Lakewood Ranch area and saw a billboard advertising a Del Web community so took the exit and went and took a look. It turned out to be an unusually nice looking neighborhood for the price range (which borders on CHEAP as compared to, say, Lakewood Ranch). The community is located in a place called North Port, FL. I’ve lived in FL for 50 years and had never heard of North Port.
A low crime rate, good schools but ‘not a whole lot to do’ per google.

Any of you good folks know anything about North Port?

Northport is a blue collar town . It is known for less expensive housing . It is not near the Gulf and it would be a drive to the gulf . It is not really a town, more like an area between Venice and Port Charlotte .Lakewood Ranch has gotten crazy with their prices and the traffic going to Lakewood Ranch is insane .

Zillow shows about 675 homes for sale at Lakewood Ranch. How big is this place and why so many homes for sale?

Cheers!

I agree with your comments on Lakewood Ranch - the traffic is reminiscent of the Orlando traffic nightmare....definitely not pretty!

Many thanks for the North Port info - were it not for that highway billboard, I would have missed it altogether. :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Zillow shows about 675 homes for sale at Lakewood Ranch. How big is this place and why so many homes for sale?

Cheers!

Two reasons older/retired people sell their homes in Florida.

It isn't what they hoped for and go back 'home'.
God calls and they answered the phone.

I have a place in North Port, future retirement place , currently a rental.

Nice area, I like to believe I'm in the best part of the town, not in a HOA or community, the town has a lot of empty undeveloped lots/ areas.
No real jobs just old retired people and young people bitching there are no jobs paying anything.
Braves are currently building a training center.

Need a permit for everything.

If you are looking for a place , check out the solar community they are building in Babcock ranch area, it's south about 10 miles or so.

We got our place two years ago in North Port. I think it is in the same area that OP mention (Plantation Blvd - Panacea Blvd).
Nice quiet HOA neighborhood, about 20 min to Manasota beach, 40 min to Siesta beach, 15 min to Port Charlotte Bay (harbor), 10 min Port Charlotte Mall, 30 min to Costco :) - 55 min to Fort Myers airport , 80 min to Tampa airport, 2h45 min to Fort Lauderdale (all with +/- 10 min)

After Irma last year, a few things that we noted:
1. The house could withstand the storm- we have upgraded impact windows and sliding door (the builder claimed it can take 140 miles wind)
2. Our house is in zone D (flood zone), the entire development, no wonder our insurance is low.

more..
3. Like many places in SWFL, North Port is growing very fast.
4. Comcast is the only one internet provider in the neighborhood.
5. There is no downtown in North Port.

Last edited:
Can't get Comcast where my place is, they keep saying it's comming.

Figure my place has survived 2 hurricanes, the street does flood but not the property.

Irma did break my front double do it jamb.

Don't buy a place in a scrub Jay area. Google it.

Check the flood zones as mentioned above.

Excellent info - thanks to each of you for taking the time to respond.

Looked at that area along with many others and I felt it could be boring. I ended up in The Villages. The biggest downside here is there is to much to do. We are busy every day doing something and could double it if we wanted. I need to find a way to cut back and relax more. Guess it's a good problem to have.

I'm interested in the Bradenton, FL area. I vacationed on Anna Maria island, and spent some time in parts of Bradenton. I liked it.
If you have any positive or negative experience or knowledge to share about Bradenton, I'm interested.

Are the intercoastal waters nice for boating, fishing and swimming, or are they primarily swampy?

I was in this area in the off season (Nov.). Is it terribly crowded in the Jan-Mar time frame? Are their fewer people as you go south away from Sarasota/Tampa?

Thanks, JP

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom