Inspirational videos for those considering one more year.

2HOTinPHX

Full time employment: Posting here.
I see in a lot of threads where people seem to be suffering from the "one more year" syndrome. Seems no matter the dollar amount saved people still question OMY? We are definitely in this category. I turned 59 last year and contemplated calling it quits but decided to do one more year. Decided to see if the future would look brighter in a year. We also wanted to get all the major $$$ home projects done to hopefully avoid any big ticket expenses/repairs once the job income was turned off. So the home is now as energy efficient as possible (minus solar) and ready to go...so lets do it...:dance: or.......OMY...:cool: Yes its hard to do it even with all your ducks in a row and being debt free....but you got to do it at some point or otherwise what is the point of it all....it gets scary to think there is more sand in the bottom of the hourglass now.

We have been watching a lot of youtube videos on retirement trying to get more info and confidence in our planning. Noticed lately more videos showing up with good examples\reasons to retire sooner than later, talking about other points than why you need X amount for retirement. Probably youtube algorithms doing their thing. I thought those who are in the same boat as we are contemplating do we have enough verse OMY might find some of the inspiration they need in these videos. Feel free to add your thoughts and inspirational videos to this thread. Some of these videos may have been mentioned in other threads too.

The Pitfall - Singular Focus on Wealth Accumulation: While there is nothing wrong with aspiring to be financially secure and building wealth, fixating on becoming as wealthy as possible can lead to a miserable retirement.
https://youtu.be/wVhXkerpf6s

Does your current retirement plan really utilize the wealth you've worked so hard to earn? This video might make you rethink your approach.
Thoughts in video based on the book "Die with Zero.
https://youtu.be/2GHQnzPRchk

8 Timely Reasons You Should Retire As Soon As Possible.
https://youtu.be/-WNK80rBeRQ

Last edited:
Good videos to convince someone down from the fence. I KNEW that megacorp would offer a buy out. Every thing pointed to it. And, sure enough, 18 months after I pulled the plug, the package came out. I would have done pretty nicely. BUT, was I going to stick around and wait. No. Things at megacorp had suddenly turned against me (an assignment I didn't want) and I ignored the obvious signs of a looming package.

I lost some money but I got 18 more months of retirement. Besides, I had "enough" when I did pull the plug. It's mostly psychological, IMHO.

Good videos to convince someone down from the fence. I KNEW that megacorp would offer a buy out. Every thing pointed to it. And, sure enough, 18 months after I pulled the plug, the package came out. I would have done pretty nicely. BUT, was I going to stick around and wait. No. Things at megacorp had suddenly turned against me (an assignment I didn't want) and I ignored the obvious signs of a looming package.

I lost some money but I got 18 more months of retirement. Besides, I had "enough" when I did pull the plug. It's mostly psychological, IMHO.

Thanks for sharing your story in this thread....I agree in the end mostly psychological...

charts like this one from one of the videos I mentioned above really brings it home for me..hit 60 this year hopefully so hopefully at least 20 good years ahead....fingers crossed.

IMG20230714121356.jpg

Last edited:

And flip side to that:

I was pretty sure packages would be offered soon, but I decided to go on my timeline, not theirs.

7-1/2 years later, still no packages. SO GLAD I went when I did.

I left on good terms, even had a good-bye lunch and got a few gift cards. The MOST any package would have paid was 18 months salary. Not worth waiting for if you are already FI.

Didn’t watch the videos, I retired five years ago when I got downsized at 57. Life has been great.

Here’s a couple of reason to manage your timeline. Keep working if you want or quit if you can.

My BIL retired from teaching at 64. Healthy guy stayed in shape. At the gym collapses with a widow maker a year later. Makes his wife a widow.

Guy at old employer, 62 yo, gets a retirement package.
Two weeks later, out riding his bike gets run over, dies on the side of the road. Least he got a few weeks.

Life is fragile, do what you can to do what want.

Back
Top Bottom