Interest rates in the next few years

Strictly speaking, the FRB has a dual mandate of keeping inflation in check, and unemployment rates low. However, I'm sure they want to normalize, heh, rates higher, and many on the FRB board have opined that the problems that need addressing are fiscal, i.e. political, and shouldn't/can't be "solved" with monetary policy.

As others have said, rising rates will strengthen the dollar, especially given the Johnny-come-latelys in Europe and Asia still in QE mode. And while not a stated mandate, the Fed will still have to navigate those muddy waters.

So, rates up maybe one more percent, but unlikely much further in the next year or two. This prognostication is worth what you paid for it...

I expect 2017 will be volatile across all types of financial instruments and investments.

This is a common prediction. More volatile than recent past? More volatile than option pricing implies? Otherwise this prediction is a throw away.

Which reminds me of when our local meteorologist claims, "We could see some changes in the weather in the next few days..."

Back
Top Bottom