Investing small money

Fishmasterdan

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am new to hole investing this. Wondering were would be a good spot to park 5k every 6 months. I was looking at Roth iras but don't like the idea of waiting till 59.5 to access them when I plan to retire at 58?? Any better options??

Just thinking it would be better to have cash in an accessible fund vs a savings account

I am new to hole investing this. Wondering were would be a good spot to park 5k every 6 months. I was looking at Roth iras but don't like the idea of waiting till 59.5 to access them when I plan to retire at 58?? Any better options??

Just thinking it would be better to have cash in an accessible fund vs a savings account

IIRC, you can take the money you contribute to a Roth out at anytime. After all you have already paid the taxes on it. It's the tax-free earnings - the children, grand children, great grandchildren..... of you contributions - that have the age limit. And there are some ways to get around that, though not as a lump sum withdrawal.

Keep in mind if take out your contributions, then they will no longer earn tax-free income. I would thing [-]twice[/-] three-times about that. YMMV.

You can always withdraw the original contributions you make without penalty at any time.

Let's say from 48 to 58, you have put $6K each year into Roth. By 58, you have contributed $60K over 10 years. Suppose that the stash has grown to $100K. You can withdraw the original $60K anytime, at any age, without penalty and taxes. The restrictions are only for the $40K gain.

See this for more details: https://www.schwab.com/ira/roth-ira...w contributions you,earnings in your Roth IRA.

Roth IRA is a good place to put your after-tax savings, because the investment gains are accumulated tax-free, while the original contribution can be tapped if you are in a tight spot, such as loss of job or in an emergency. Roth IRA is a good deal, hence they don't allow it for people with high incomes.

On the other hand, if your income is well inside the 12% bracket, you can get capital gains and interest/dividend tax-free, which is even a better deal than Roth because you can access the gains with no restrictions before 59-1/2.

PS. The annual limit for Roth contribution is $6K, and $7K if you are 50 or older.

Last edited:
Good plan. Good habit to get into. The Roth is a fine idea, but don't get tempted to treat it as a piggy bank. Put the money in, leave it there until you need it in retirement.

Some easy starter reading:

"If You Can" by William Bernstein https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf (free 16 page download)

"The Coffee House Investor" by Bill Schultheis https://www.coffeehouseinvestor.com/ (This is Bill's first book; read it before reading his second one.)

A little more advanced but still easy:

"The Bogleheads Guide to Investing" by Taylor Larimore et al https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Larimore/dp/0470067365

"The Simple Path to Wealth" by JL Collins: https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Path-Wealth-financial-independence/dp/1533667926

"Winning the Loser's Game" by Charles Ellis https://www.amazon.com/Winning-Losers-Game-Strategies-Successful-dp-1264258461/dp/1264258461 (latest edition, May 2021)

PS. The annual limit for Roth contribution is $6K, and $7K if you are 50 or older.

AND IMHO you should put every dollar you can spare (up to these limits) into your ROTH IRA - every year while eligible. It's still one of the best investment strategies you can use (my opinion - but YMMV.)

Without going into specifics, which would have to be much lengthier, consider putting such money into 3 places. What percent for each is your decision, but make sure you allocate some into each of these 3:
Retirement savings (i.e., money you will not withdraw until retirement)
Liquid savings
Emergency fund.

Another good option would be to establish an account with Treasury Direct and buy IBonds that will keep pace with inflation and are currently paying 6.89%. The rate resets every 6 months.

Both Roth and I-Bonds have annual maximums, and Roth requires earned income. Great options for saving.

Thanks for the info. Specifically who do you like as a broker?
I am 50 so I can put in the 7k

I've only used Fidelity, Merrill Edge, and Vanguard. Out of the 3 I recommend Fidelity. They will likely assign a representative to you. You don't have to use them as an advisor or buy any products. But I have found they are good to bounce any questions off of.

I hope you already have a big pile of $$ invested in retirement and taxable accounts as age 50 is pretty late to begin saving.

Yes thanks. I am on track to see about 1.4m at 58 these are in long term IRAs. ( union pensions and money market accounts I cant access till 55)I'm mostly looking for places to park smaller personal funds that make more than the average savings account. Example would be 30k just sitting in a savings account for emergency stuff.

You can find online reviews comparing Fido, Schwab, and VG. I would recommend the first two as they provide a little more investor support. VG is usually thought of as a bare-bones, low cost, choice.

It's nice but not mandatory to have a nearby bricks & mortar office of your broker. If you have both nearby that is a plus and you can make visits to assess which one looks more comfortable to you. Re having an assigned rep ask about that. IITC Schwab's threshold for that is $1M accounts balance. Fido's is probably similar. But you don't get what you don't ask for.

IMO it would be a good idea to stay away from the managed accounts (with fees) that all brokers would like to sell you. Take your time, read some books, and invest maybe a year in self-education. Then decide.

I hope you already have a big pile of $$ invested in retirement and taxable accounts as age 50 is pretty late to begin saving.

NEVER too late to start saving!

Last edited:
To retire early, some people can withdraw money from their 401k starting at 55. Else, you need to have some after-tax money to live on till 59-1/2.

A Roth account is better than after-tax savings in the above aspect, because you can draw the original contributions if you need it. My income was too high to be allowed any contribution, so I did not have that option.

My wife quit work at 50, and I at 55. From there to 59-1/2, I drained much of my after-tax savings. Thought about doing 72(t) distributions to draw from IRA, but I never did and managed to live on after-tax savings.

To retire early, some people can withdraw money from their 401k starting at 55. Else, you need to have some after-tax money to live on till 59-1/2.

A Roth account is better than after-tax savings in the above aspect, because you can draw the original contributions if you need it. My income was too high to be allowed any contribution, so I did not have that option.

My wife quit work at 50, and I at 55. From there to 59-1/2, I drained much of my after-tax savings. Thought about doing 72(t) distributions to draw from IRA, but I never did and managed to live on after-tax savings.

I nearly had to get into my Roth money even though I only had a couple of years between FIRE and 59.5. We spent WAY more than we thought since we did a major Reno on our place in Paradise. We sold our mainland house and thought that would be enough to live on - but it was only just barely. Something to think about for folks bailing before 59.5, but YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom