Investment option for small trust account w/o yearly income

Fielding

Dryer sheet aficionado
I have a small ($15k or so) trust account that I want to productively mothball. Right now it is earning pennies in a checking account.

I'm looking for an investment option that will be productive in the long term, but which does not throw off yearly investment income so I don't have to bother filing taxes on it. Figure 5-20 years before I might touch it again.

Equity or fixed income would both be fine, I can fit both into the AA. I'm a generic Boglehead for the most part, have access to Vanguard and a Treasury Direct account for the trust, but could set up something else if warranted, so long as there is no yearly maintenance involved.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Ibonds if just held do not generate interest until sold. Real rates are 1.2% real which is pretty good. Also agree with the Berkshire Hathaway stock if you want more risk. Maybe 10k ibonds and 5 k Berkshire Hathaway. .

It would have to be something with little income since you have to file a 1041 if income is over $600, which would be 4% for $15k. For 5-20 years BRK.B sounds like a decent option.

My question is though for such a relatively small amount, why are you bothering vs just distribute it now and be done with it.

My question is though for such a relatively small amount, why are you bothering vs just distribute it now and be done with it.

Although retired, I still have a lot of income and have ~50% effective tax rate. I would rather push this income into future, likely leaner years. And should I need to pay for a certain class of minor expense, it could be useful to have cash in this trust.

I had thought of BRK.B and I-bonds, good to get confirmation from you all.

So how would keeping it in the trust differ from taking a $15k distribution from the trust today and investing the proceeds in BRK.B or I-Bonds or muni bonds.

From what you wrote I assume there are no tax consequences of receiving the $15k from the trust.

Back
Top Bottom