Investment Return graph on Vanguard Personal site...

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Not sure if that chart's always been available, but i sure like it. never saw it before and it surely simplifies things

I'm gone to see if I can find it.
May be something new.
You know you could have supplied a link and maybe a pass word, so I could get there quick and move some cash around while I was at it.:LOL:
Steve

PS. (update) I'm back !!!
I think it has been there for a while. I didn't see anything new. I agree, it is a nice chart to see how investments are doing.

Click on My Portfolio and then Performance.
There are 2 views - Balance Trend & Investment Return.
The time ranges can be selected to provide different time graphs.

Yes, the VG performance graphs are useful for spot checking your vanguard holdings (they don't include linked accounts). It would be nice if they let you look at periods longer than 5 years though (I think the older version may have down that). This thread prompted me to look at them to see if some new features had been added. Didn't notice any new features but I did notice that my 5 year totals had a significant overall "market loss" but more than twice that loss in "dividends and income", for a net annualized 5 year return of 0.7%. This on a Vanguard account asset mix that is north of 75% equities (can't easily tell closer than that because the portfolio asset percentages Vanguard lists contain linked accounts, whereas performance numbers do not). The returns of course also are all mixed up with ongoing deposits, etc., but nevertheless seem a good reminder of the important contribution of dividends and income to overall return, even in a pretty equity-heavy portfolio. Hadn't really noticed that recently.

The graph is only good if you have all your stuff at Vanguard and don't move stuff in or out. So that means it's useless.

MS Money (and I guess Quicken) have similar graphs if you have entered all your data.

lol - I always thought the VG performance charts at least approximated performance for the VG only part of the portfolio, including purchases and VG to VG transfers. Monthly market gain/loss, monthly income/dividends and monthly purchases/withdrawals (the latter in the "balance trend" chart) all are listed in the breakdown associated with each chart. From that I've assumed that the listed VG account activity is indeed reflected in the charts and underlying arithmetic. Is it really as inaccurate as you're suggesting? I'm not challenging, just asking. I suspect I'm both a bit lazy and math challenged on this and know that you pay pretty close attention to this kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom