iPhone High Temp Warning

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I’m obviously not the first, but I got this warning a few days ago, first time in the 5 years I’ve owned the iPhone. I’d left it on the car seat, under a hat - must have been over 113F? It took at least 5 minutes to cool enough to work again. I’ll never let that happen again.

Evidently you can do permanent damage if you get it too hot or too cold - within a range a typical user might encounter?

Apple recommends operating temperatures for the iPhone of 32 to 95 degrees Fahrenheit (0 to 35 degrees Celsius) -- and for non-operating temperatures, it recommends minus-4 to 113 degrees Fahrenheit (minus-20 to 45 degrees Celsius). Allow the device to slowly equalize to the environment’s temperature

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201678

Attachments

• D05B82B8-AD16-4D61-AA3A-C6239ECE89E6.jpeg
    D05B82B8-AD16-4D61-AA3A-C6239ECE89E6.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
It happened to both of our iPhones while on holiday in California earlier this year and more recently here in England where my phone was sitting in the sun too long.

Easier to forget, but the same caution applies to the Apple Watch as well. DW once accidentally left hers on in the sauna a few years ago. No permanent damage though.

I would guess that anything with that sort of display needs to stay in a "normal" temperature range to operate properly.

Haven't run into that so far.

Never a problem with my cheap Android phones, and the screens have also proven to be less breakable when dropped than my kids' iPhones (so much so that now the latter reside in bulky cases)

Transistor junction migration with heat

Probably TMI, but here ya go ( from memory)...

Transistor junctions in chips begin to lose their PNP or NPN interface junctions above 114 deg F ambient. (i.e. Germanium migrates into the silicon lattice when energized). Happens across a wide variety of transistorized electronics, and is the reason for cooling fans. Above a certain ambient temperature in energized commercial circuits, the chips are literally cooked when the junction is lost forever. Its why cars have most of their computers in the people compartment or vented with cooler air.

P.S. I am not a EE eng, but slept in a Holiday Inn last night. :D

Last edited:
I’d left it on the car seat, under a hat - must have been over 113F? It took at least 5 minutes to cool enough to work again. I’ll never let that happen again.

Skip the wool felt hats such as some cowboy hats and fedora hats. Despite their stylish good looks they are deadly to phones . Next time pick a straw hat with an open weave that provides plenty of ventilation. The right hat adds a touch of class to the wearer, whether he/she is a human being or a phone.

Have left mine outside while working on projects and as the sun shifted it ended up in the sun so have had a couple of these. Only reason I figured it out was my wireless headphones started cutting out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom