iPod Music System..........

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Now that I have two iPods, I am looking for a music system that will charge it and play good quality sound.

Seems like everybody and their brother has a sound system for iPod, but a lot of them sound like crap. Just tried an iPod Sillouhette........junk.

Ideas? I found a Klipsch system for iPod online........it looks pretty sweet.............

I just plug the iPod into its charger cord and the earphone output into my home stereo system. Why get a separate iPod music system?

donheff said:
I just plug the iPod into its charger cord and the earphone output into my home stereo system. Why get a separate iPod music system?
I'm starting to see used cars advertised as "iPod compatible". I guess the dashboard stereo has an input plug for an iPod jack...

kinda hard to carry that car on your shoulder :D

Nords said:
I'm starting to see used cars advertised as "iPod compatible". I guess the dashboard stereo has an input plug for an iPod jack...
Yeah, that is becoming common in the newer cars. Mine are a little too old so I use a tape cartridge adapter -- the transmitters (beam the tunes out on some random FM channel) seem to be pretty iffy.

Nords said:

My '06 Chevy HHR has an iPod jack....I don't own an iPod, and probably won't...but I guess I could plug my old 8-track cassette player in if I need to. I just burn my music onto CDs for about 10-15 cents each....a lot cheaper than buying an iPod to plug in. :D

Nords said:
'iPod compatible' can mean more than just an input jack. In some cases, it means the iPod display shows up on the dash, or radio display, and the buttons on the steering wheel control the ipod forward, pause and such.

I guess that is important to some. The best option I saw, was a radio that had a USB port on it. Buy any generic, cheap thumbdrive, load your music as mp3 files (or whatever it all supports) and you are set. If home stereos and kitchen radios and boom boxes all did that, all you would need is inexpensive thumb drives. Move your drive to where you listen.

-ERD50

in my car ipod compatible means the ipod has a place to charge, an aux input jack and all displays and controls work thru the main radio.

its a dealer installed option as its a money maker for the dealers-

part 35.00

labor 325.00

satellite radio is dealer installed too, only satellite prep comes from factory.

550.00 bucks for setup which is crazy, even though it isnt one of those cheap awful sounding modulator type for 75 bucks from circuit city..

donheff said:

The iPods were my sisters, and since they were part of the estate, I didn't buy them. I guess we're looking for a protable option so we can take said iPod on our travels.............

mostly i find because if you have a half way decent home system mp3's sound like crap out of them. the ipod systems bring the flaws down to a minimum where they sound acceptable

mathjak107 said:
mostly i find because if you have a half way decent home system mp3's sound like crap out of them. the ipod systems bring the flaws down to a minimum where they sound acceptable

Maybe it's just me, I have a pretty good home stereo ( fairly high-end component amp - bought used, new 1.6QR Magnapan speakers) and I am fairly sensitive to poor recordings, but 128kbps AAC coded music doesn't sound all that bad to me.

After about 5 minutes of close listening, I absolutely do notice that the music seems kind of lifeless to me, and I lose interest. But, it never strikes me as outright sounding bad - and this surprised me - I expected that I would notice the diff right off. But, it seems subtler than that. Other people say it sounds terrible to them.

Bottom line, I don't listen to much compressed music. I buy stuff that is at least CD quality (magnatunes.com has a limited selection of CD quality downloads). In my mind, this new technology should be making music sound better and better - not compressing the data to degrade it.

Don't forget - you can store songs in full CD quality on any iPod - they don't need to be compressed.

-ERD50

i find it always sounds a little hollow and lacking at the top and bottom alot in mp3 format.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom