IRS.Gov Login Access Changing

One way I frame things like this in my mind is that I scrimpped and saved for many years -- during which this would have really bothered me.

Now that I am FI and passive income exceeds expenses, this is the sort of luxury, "blow that dough" that I can afford.

A few dollars spent to make life easier (ie not jumping through their hoops), is money well spent!

-gauss

p.s. I think that a lot of life's happiness is based on how you frame things in your mind.

I agree, and I don't get too upset about "high prices" as such. If I think they are too high I will skip the (food, object, experience.) BUT I hate it when I feel manipulated or excluded. One pet peeve is being required to present a coupon in a format that I don't have access to - like smart phone. Not EVERYONE has a smart phone. I assume the coupon purveyor wants access to your smart phone for future adds (maybe location data, etc.) Not gonna play their game. YMMV

One way I frame things like this in my mind is that I scrimpped and saved for many years -- during which this would have really bothered me.

Now that I am FI and passive income exceeds expenses, this is the sort of luxury, "blow that dough" that I can afford.

A few dollars spent to make life easier (ie not jumping through their hoops), is money well spent!

-gauss

p.s. I think that a lot of life's happiness is based on how you frame things in your mind.

Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it depends on what you put into it. (Tom Lehrer.)

I gave up doing the ID.Me stuff, it was laboriously slow and failed more often than not.

I guess should try again, seems it sent me in circles last time (2 years ago?). IIRC, it really got hung up on the face recognition, I think it needed better lighting on my webcam, but the lighting wasn't terrible - seems they ask quite a bit from the user.

Maybe it's been improved over the last few years?

Another complication for me in some of these identification algorithms, I cosigned a Credit Card for my DD years ago. So that seems to link some of our info, when it asks questions like "Check any Counties you have lived in/ None of the above?" If I see a county she lived in, I don't know if I should include it or not. I ran into that for the mail delivery emails, I got locked out after three tries, so created an account based on DW's info, and that went through OK.

-ERD50

I guess should try again, seems it sent me in circles last time (2 years ago?). IIRC, it really got hung up on the face recognition, I think it needed better lighting on my webcam, but the lighting wasn't terrible - seems they ask quite a bit from the user.

Tried again this morning. The Selfie would not lock, too close, too far, no in between. Gave up again.

^^^^^^^

Sorta makes me glad I use a CPA who does all my filing for me. I have no idea what kind of login/access they use but I assume they know what they're doing as my check/bank entry always arrives. YMMV

I may be fairly young compared to others int he group (62) but I have Id.me and did not have any trouble getting it. I needed it as a treasurer of a non profit at the time, a couple of years ago. My 90 year old father-in-law has a smart phone and does ask us for help on techy stuff when he needs it. I think it is important to stay current, so my advice would be to go ahead and get a smart phone. It is definitely good for us to learn new things as we age.

I may be fairly young compared to others int he group (62) but I have Id.me and did not have any trouble getting it. I needed it as a treasurer of a non profit at the time, a couple of years ago. My 90 year old father-in-law has a smart phone and does ask us for help on techy stuff when he needs it. I think it is important to stay current, so my advice would be to go ahead and get a smart phone. It is definitely good for us to learn new things as we age.

+1

I personally think smart phones are highly overrated. Mine sits on the counter most of the time. Too big to carry around comfortably and nothing I can't do faster on my laptop. (Yes I realize they make smaller phones but they cost more and since I have not been impressed at all I have not bothered. I keep meaning to cancel the contract actually I just don't get around to it).

I do find it funny that it is almost like a sin to say out loud that I don't like it. I don't like chocolate either.

And to anyone saying how can I use it when out if on the counter . . . I have never been anywhere in my life there aren't people with phones around me somewhere I could ask for an emergency call. I did that when I wrecked the car. It was fine. Someone had already called the police -I just needed to catch a ride home.

Last edited:
I personally think smart phones are highly overrated. Mine sits on the counter most of the time. Too big to carry around comfortably and nothing I can't do faster on my laptop. (Yes I realize they make smaller phones but they cost more and since I have not been impressed at all I have not bothered. I keep meaning to cancel the contract actually I just don't get around to it).

I do find it funny that it is almost like a sin to say out loud that I don't like it. I don't like chocolate either.

And to anyone saying how can I use it when out if on the counter . . . I have never been anywhere in my life there aren't people with phones around me somewhere I could ask for an emergency call. I did that when I wrecked the car. It was fine. Someone had already called the police -I just needed to catch a ride home.

I'm with you. Not worth the cost or time, and the ones I see others have are way too big; I don't have pockets big enough to hold one when I am out. I barely have enough room to hold my wallet, cards holder, reading glasses, small cell phone, coins, keys, and hanky.

Not interested in a web cam, either. If that means I go without ID.me, then so be it. I'm already putting up with 2FA which is a minor annoyance. Why is that not good enough any more?

Back
Top Bottom