Is $250,000 Affluent?

Pretending that you are from a rich family takes some thought and a little money. Sometimes, you have to pretend to be rich to make money so that you can be rich. Remember that rich people place very little importance on money. Rich people are usually very classy and proper in every situation.
Hah, ha ha ha!

Obviously this person never read Millionaire Next Door!

However, it probably works perfectly well if you need to "pretend" to be wealthy, because other folks are apparently taken in by this charade all the time, or otherwise swallow such an appearance hook line and sinker, or spend all their money trying to "keep up with the Joneses" because they think that will somehow make the richer rather than destroying their net worth.

That etiquette thing - that must be those "old-money" rich (I immediately think Maddoff victims) rather than the perhaps more common self-made types that are covered in "Millionaire Next Door". Most well-off folks I know don't give a hoot about appearance or etiquette.

Audrey

Last edited by a moderator:
Well there are three ways for someone of modest means to become affluent.

1) LBYM for a decade or three and then live off of the saved stash

2) Housing bubble equity farming - all that cash just waiting for you - The good life awaits

3) Welfare fraud - people can live very well by cheatin' the man.
4) Create your own business and be successful at growing it, then cash out.
5) Go work for a start-up company, get stock options and work hard to help the company succeed.

Of course, lots of risk and luck needed in those last two, but it is an available path to FI.

Audrey

Remember that rich people place very little importance on money.

Is that really true? I've never known a rich person who didn't place at least a little importance on money. I guess I don't really know anyone who inherited large sums. Most made theirs one of the old fashioned ways. Working and saving, starting a business, real estate, etc.

Would someone like Paris Hilton be considered affluent? Maybe she places very little importance on money. In general though, those that have made a lot of money themselves are usually good at making it and keeping it. That is why they are rich. They may not run around swimming in it (a la Scrooge McDuck) or bragging about it, but to say they place very little importance on it doesn't seem accurate for almost all of "the rich".

"The best things in life are free
But you can keep them for the birds and bees
Now give me money
That's what I want
That's what I want, yeah
That's what I want
Money don't get everything it's true
What it don't get, I can't use
Now give me money
That's what I want
That's what I want, yeah
That's what I want, wah"
...​
YouTube - The Beatles - Money

Affluent...some people think I am, others not so much.

When I hear the word I just want to say, "Gazunheit"

Affluent...some people think I am, others not so much.

When I hear the word I just want to say, "Gazunheit"

:LOL: Nice. Made me laugh out loud. Thanks for that.

Keim; said:
Better to be affluent than effluent.

:LOL: That *would* really stink. Look like this thread's on a roll.

Have tried some cheap haircut places in recent months. They seem to have different people there every time I go in, and W2R may be right about not knowing what you will get until you get home.

Anybody ever tried Flowbee factory direct Also Flowbee deluxe with vacuum? Guess I wouldn't expect much "style" from it.

The people that don't have one think it's the funniest thing ever. The people that have one won't admit they have one but think it's great.

I think it's great.:cool:

The people that don't have one think it's the funniest thing ever. The people that have one won't admit they have one but think it's great.

I think it's great.:cool:

I think it really sucks! (Stolen from Wayne's World).

A person is not affluent until she has "money out the wazoo". That would agree with the definition of money "flowing freely".

I just remember this TV ad that was run during the tech bubble of 2000. It brings tears to my eyes, thinking of how my portfolio was adding a 4-digit and most often 5-digit sum DAILY in the early 2000, and I did not even own any dot-com stock. Perversely, I felt quite scared, but was not able to overcome my greed in order to sell high.

YouTube - Super Bowl Ad (2000) E*Trade - "Out of the Whazoo!"

Back
Top Bottom