Is anyone else following James Cameron's deep sea exploration?

What a thrill it must have been! I can't wait to see his footage. What a lucky thing to have an accomplished filmmaker be the one to take the sub to the bottom. I mean, it was great that the military guys went way back when, but to have someone who really knows how to capture what was down there!
He said it felt like he'd been to outer space and back.

I can never forgive him for making Titanic.

My question: did he do anything that couldn't have been done more cheaply and safely with a robot?

My question: did he do anything that couldn't have been done more cheaply and safely with a robot?

Maybe not but it is sort of like saying that is pointless for your band to perform, because you could just use play a CD of the same songs being played by a more professional band.

There is something about the presence of a human being that makes the event special.

I think the guys nuts, how does he get into that thing?
This is something to look forward to seeing. I'm amazed he could go down in the ocean all cramped up like that. No way would I even consider it.
He did it for the sea pay and the submarine duty pay...

There is something about the presence of a human being that makes the event special.
It's even more special when that human returns to the surface!

Last edited:
This is something to look forward to seeing. I'm amazed he could go down in the ocean all cramped up like that. No way would I even consider it.

You'd think a millionaire coulda' upgraded to First Class, or at least Business. He's taking LBYM too far.

-ERD50

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds, – and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless falls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, nor eer eagle flew –
And, while with silent lifting mind I’ve trod
The high, untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

- John Gillespie Magee
From the poem "High Flight".

Sometimes the actual presence of man (or woman) kind in a goal/adventure means a lot more. Many countries sent probes to the moon, but what does everybody remember? That day in 1969 when a human actually walked on the surface.

Just to answer your question, from my POV.

No, of course not. And you can see all those views on Google Earth without ever hopping on that death trap of a bicycle. Because it's there, dude!

Is this related to the upcoming release of the 3D version Titanic?

From Leno:

Cameron went from the deepest place on earth back to Hollywood (the shallowest).

They updated Titanic. Now the ship hits the iceberg because the captain was texting and wasn't wearing his 3D glasses.

Back
Top Bottom