Is cancer a non-starting precondition?

. I heard that in 2008 62% of all personal bankruptcies in the US were due to medical bills and 50% of those people actually had insurance.

The "medical bankrutpcy" issue is complex.

Maybe there are more recent figures, but the message about medical bills causing most bankruptcies started with a Harvard study from 2005. The study abstract said:

"In 2001, 1.458 million American families filed for bankruptcy. To investigate medical contributors to bankruptcy, we surveyed 1,771 personal bankruptcy filers in five federal courts and subsequently completed in-depth interviews with 931 of them. About half cited medical causes, which indicates that 1.9-2.2 million Americans (filers plus dependents) experienced medical bankruptcy. Among those whose illnesses led to bankruptcy, out-of-pocket costs average $11,854 since the start of illness; 75.7 percent had insurance at the onset of illness. Medical debtors were 42 percent more likely than other debtors to experience lapses in coverage. Even middle-class insured families often fall prey to financial catastrophe when sick."

The full report: MarketWatch: Illness And Injury As Contributors To Bankruptcy -- Himmelstein et al., 10.1377/hlthaff.w5.63 -- Health Affairs

When this study came out some conservatives claimed that it was a myth that bankruptcies are often caused by medical problems and cited their own review through the US Trustee's office of bankruptcy petitions which showed 78% of bankruptcy petitions show medical debt of less that $5000. (sorry, I have since lost the citation).

However, the US Trustee's review tells only part of the story. First of all, there are plenty of people that have so little that garnishment of wages resulting from a $5000 medical bill can send them into bankruptcy. Also, even if medical bills are paid by insurance, the medical problems can mean loss of time from work that might not be paid or even the loss of a job. Also, people live on such tight budgets that the slightest little slip can mean a bankruptcy. So, it is a muddy analysis but medical issues, both bills and illness, do contribute to bankruptcy filings. Along with job loss, divorce and living on the edge.

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, monospace]I'd like to reinforce what Alan has been saying about the UK NHS. My mother is in her late 80's and has various medical problems. She receives prompt and excellent care, including home visits by her doctor! On occasion I've taken her for hospital check-ups and found the facilities to be clean and well-run.

Yes, you will have to wait for major non-urgent procedures. And yes, you can call this rationing if you wish. But we already have rationing here ... it's called nearly 50 million people without health insurance.

Peter[/FONT]

If you are going to quote me please use my words - I believe I actually said -

Oooops..... Sorry Alan. Looking back at my post, it does read as though I'm quoting you. Didn't mean that. I was trying to give an example of someone touting the health plan yet buying insurance "just in case." Didn't mean to have it look as though you said it. :flowers:

Oooops..... Sorry Alan. Looking back at my post, it does read as though I'm quoting you. Didn't mean that. I was trying to give an example of someone touting the health plan yet buying insurance "just in case." Didn't mean to have it look as though you said it. :flowers:

No worries mate :flowers:

Wait times are unfortunately not measured consistently across Canada because each Province is responsible for healthcare and they all do it differently. Also, there are no comprehensive data for family doctors, because they work independently. Here is a link to hospital related data, but it's quite confusing.

Wait Time Information

My own experience has been that routine visits to my family doctor, and even tests, are usually available within days. If there is a delay, it's usually due to my schedule, not hers. Scheduling an annual checkup takes a few weeks, because she needs to allow more time.

There are numerous improvement projects going on, and some of them I am involved in. For example, Open Access (same day appointments) is spreading for clinics.

Back
Top Bottom