Is it time to stop driving yet?

My 90-year old neighbor had a narrowing of vision incident while driving and it scared her pretty good. She was still on the fence about giving up her keys for good so I laid on the guilt (she's Catholic so it worked well) about how she would have felt if she had killed or injured someone by driving into oncoming traffic instead of being able to get over to the right and stop until it was over. I also told her she could kiss all her savings goodbye even if she had a relatively minor injury accident because she would be sued (FL). She decided she was done.

She gave her car to one of the residents in her building who drives her around. DH and I will also take her wherever she needs to go. The complex also has a bus that goes to grocery stores and churches and events. She can afford to pay for cabs or county senior busses so she has lots of options.

I found my late MIL had driving issues when, after she passed, we found a check from the insurance company paying for repairs to the car for side swiping a wall and hitting a gas pump.

Back
Top Bottom