Is it weird not have a dishwasher, dryer or garbage disposal?

Even with her How-to instructions it seemed like a hassle to 1) figure out if the items inside were dirty or clean, since they all are shiny, 2) having to load it 3) having to unload it. 4) sort into piles and then put it in the cupboards.

It seems so much easier to wash them in the sink and use a dish drainer. Am I missing something?

Yes, you're missing something. It takes the same amount of time to put a dirty dish in the dishwasher as it does to put it in the sink. Emptying the dishwasher takes the same amount of time as emptying the dish rack.

But you don't have to wash the dishes, so that time is saved. Plus the new models will get them cleaner and sanitize them.

We requested no garbage disposal went the house was built, DH hates them with a passion. But all the hookups are there including the switch, so it would be easy to add.

I'm actually surprised that garbage disposals still exist. I would think they would be hazardous to young children. I'm sure if I had children, they would be the ones to stick their hands in it.

WOW, Good for you if you can do without one.

Our Kenmore dishwasher has been working for 20 years, but now it is not cleaning properly.

So, went to Lowes and found out Dishwashers are like $599 and $250 to install and $40 to Haul away the old one, so with taxes, it is around $960. If you purchase a 3 year warranty, add $100. So, you'll be spending around $1,060.

Now, Lucky for us, we saw a Costco Flash Sale the other day, where a Maytag Dishwasher went from $850 to $399. I immediately bought it, and with tax, it cost $429. Now Costco includes free installation, free haul away, and free 2 Year warranty. So, ended up paying $429 instead of $1060s. Now, after I bought it for $399, it is now back to $599.

Our new dishwasher will be arriving tomorrow and hope it last another 20 years :)

I was visiting a friend awhile back she was stunned I didn't know how to run a dishwasher (I've never lived with one).

Even with her How-to instructions it seemed like a hassle to 1) figure out if the items inside were dirty or clean, since they all are shiny, 2) having to load it 3) having to unload it. 4) sort into piles and then put it in the cupboards.

It seems so much easier to wash them in the sink and use a dish drainer. Am I missing something?

I also don't have a clothes dryer or garbage disposal. Not because I am boycotting them, or because I can't afford them, but just because I can't remember living in a place that had them, so I never missed them. Now that I look at people's households closely, it seems standard to have these 3 things.

We have and would not do without a dishwasher. However, we pretty much clean all the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. When the kids come, they just load dirty dishes in and can't understand why we rinse them so well before putting them in the dishwasher. I kinda wonder myself.:facepalm:
I recently installed a new single tub sink to replace a double tub sink and installed a tall touchless faucet (motion sensor).
A few weeks later my wife said, "I love it" That's a win :dance:, I like it too.
Next up, I'll be running a return pipe from the kitchen sink hot water to the water heater, installing a pump and temperature sensor to run the pump if the sink hot water at the sink drops to a certain (adjustable) temperature. This will provide instant hot water at the faucet. I would like it for the bathrooms 60 ft away, but I don't feel the cost of heating the extra water is worth it, but in the kitchen the convenience is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom