Do you crumple/crinkle new bills?

• Yes

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • No

Votes: 92 70.8%
  • Not quite either, see my comment below

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
Funny story: at Christmas when we were kids my grandfather got a big kick out of handing each of us an envelope of five, brand new 10 dollar bills all consecutively numbered. (Thankfully, grandma quietly made up for it " but don't tell your grandfather")

One envelope for mom, one for dad and one each for my brother and me.

When dad left home, we each got "his share" of an extra 12 one dollar bills..consecutively numbered. The old man thought this was hysterical.

Last edited:
I get new bills once in a while and I mix them with my older bills in my wallet so no 2 new bills are next to each other. Doesn't happen often.

Back last fall gal and I celebrated two years of married life (after 44 years together). Learned the second anniversary is paper, so I went to three different banks and cleaned them out of $2 bills. Fourteen sad bedraggled things; I ironed them, wrote stuff on them and hid them all over the house. It was great - she was finding them weeks later. Lots of points.

We are going to have a gardener come in and prune a nasty area down here and will pay him in cash so wanted to break up some of the house hundreds stash. Went to the local Chase bank here in SoCal and asked to break into twenties, tens and fives and on a whim asked if he had any twos. Banks up north seemed to loath them and were real happy to divest. This guy not only had some but said he had two stacks of them - new and sequentially numbered. For no good reason I sprang for a stack. Maybe when I get tired of holding them they'll make good tip money? Don't think I'll wrinkle these.

Attachments

• $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 3
I really don't use cash all that often, but I've never heard of wrinkling bills. I see the thought process behind it, but never considered it myself.

I do keep a small amount of emergency cash in my safe that I never touch. I keep it in mostly 20s, nothing larger, as if it's an emergency where only cash works, I don't want too large of bills that people can't give change for.

I always thought a $20 bill was change :D :LOL: :facepalm:

Put me down as another "never heard of this". Crisp bills are great, and yes I've sorted bills to get rid of the ones with even the slightest imperfections for overseas use.

Put me down as another "never heard of this". Crisp bills are great, and yes I've sorted bills to get rid of the ones with even the slightest imperfections for overseas use.
Yes. From time to time I have negotiated tour discounts with operators, but the requirement is always to bring and pay in absolutely perfect $100 bills. I once had one rejected in Asia because one corner had about a 1/4" fold.

so I went to three different banks and cleaned them out of $2 bills. Maybe when I get tired of holding them they'll make good tip money?
I once had several hundred $2 bills (long story) and started giving them out as tips for years. Finally got rid of all of them a few years ago.

No, however, when I've been in rolls managing a cash box or register I'll crease them just enough to avoid sticking when handling cash quickly.

Personally, crisp bills are worth just a little more and I spend them last. Spending order: Taped bills, torn bills, bills with the texture of Charmin TP, wrinkled bills, creased bills, crisp bills. :LOL:

No. I am happy for them to take up less space in my wallet.

No, however, when I've been in rolls managing a cash box or register I'll crease them just enough to avoid sticking when handling cash quickly.

Personally, crisp bills are worth just a little more and I spend them last. Spending order: Taped bills, torn bills, bills with the texture of Charmin TP, wrinkled bills, creased bills, crisp bills. :LOL:

I will try to use severely crumpled or bills toward the start of your priority list first so that I will have the less worn bills available to use for self-checkout machines or card-loading machines such as the one I use for the laundry.

I tend to fold my bills rather than crumple . . .

When new and before the surfaces get contaminated with dirt, dust, lint, oil, food crumbs, pollen, cocaine (white powder?), and, even, feces and whatever, there will be a cohesion energy (bond) that must be overcome to separate the two bills. Even a monolayer (a layer one molecule thick) of "stuff" will greatly reduce the cohesion.

Last edited:
I'm always impressed at the bank that the tellers never seem to have any problem with handling the crisp bills. I will typically place the crisp ones between not-so-crisp bills which makes them easier to count and keep track of.

he only time I see $100 bills is at Xmas time when I hand them out as gifts. Otherwise, I never have much cash on me....maybe $50 in small bills.

I'm always impressed at the bank that the tellers never seem to have any problem with handling the crisp bills. I will typically place the crisp ones between not-so-crisp bills which makes them easier to count and keep track of.
Bill counting machines work for them. For hand counting a small number of bills, just use a finger tip moistener and slightly slip the bills between your fingers and they will usually come apart (if stuck together)

Bill counting machines work for them. For hand counting a small number of bills, just use a finger tip moistener and slightly slip the bills between your fingers and they will usually come apart (if stuck together)

My bank has a little metal dish of gel, but the tellers never use it when they count out my cash. In my hands, it can be a chore to count while they seem oblivious to new vs old bills. I guess experience counts for a lot.

My first foray into capitalism was getting a paper route at age 12. First of every month was collection time and I usually had all kinds of dog-eared one $ bills collected. I had a habit of soaking the old bills in a bucket of hot water and then ironing them flat. As a 12yo JP Getty, I liked my carry around money to be flat and uncreased.:dance:

So, sort of the opposite of intentionally wrinkling new bills. Like a lot of people, I don't go through $500 in cash currency in a year anymore.

In addition to the fingertip moisteners, there are fingertip covers that can be used for manually separating money, like this one from Amazon:

c4576514-6612-4f2b-a7b6-011d091ade59.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

I rarely go to the ATM these days, but I have never had an issue separating crisp new bills. Maybe because I am extra-attentive and on guard when I have cash. :)

Though I can see it being a problem, the other day one of DW's friends reimbursed her for picking up some items at the store. She drove by and handed DW what she thought was $40 in ten dollar bills, but as DW came into the house counting it, it was actually $60. DW has to dash back out down our driveway and flag her friend down to return the extra money to her.

My first foray into capitalism was getting a paper route at age 12. First of every month was collection time and I usually had all kinds of dog-eared one $ bills collected. I had a habit of soaking the old bills in a bucket of hot water and then ironing them flat. As a 12yo JP Getty, I liked my carry around money to be flat and uncreased.:dance:

So, sort of the opposite of intentionally wrinkling new bills. Like a lot of people, I don't go through $500 in cash currency in a year anymore.

Ah, yes. The ORIGINAL "money laundering." :LOL:

At one time many years ago, back when people used to line up on Fridays to cash their paychecks, I worked as a bank teller. Never had a problem with new bills. Practice makes perfect as they say.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom