Is the Ice Cream Machine at your McDonalds Broken?

Just like cell phone threads that attract people who like to boast that they don't have a cell phone, fast food threads attract people who need to boast that they'll never touch fast food. :LOL:

There's nothing wrong with McD's ice cream, and their coffee is far better than many other places.

Cracks me up how people say they don't eat at McDonald's. Reminds me of all those comments about not going to Walmart. :2funny:

But remember, you still get a lot of crappy food and Chinese made products at countless other places.

Before the pandemic, I used to get ice cream cones at McD's drive-thru once in a while. A $1 convenience and beat spending $4 on a DQ Blizzard with 1000 calories. lol

I think there was only one time the ice cream machine wasn't working. But since the pandemic, I don't know.

I don't recall the last time I ate any regular food from MD's, maybe a chicken sandwich on the run via the drive-thru. ISome years back, I use to get breakfast there on occasion, which was fine. Usually, I just got the ice cream via the drive-thru. After reading this thread, I think it's about time for me to get it again. I'm pretty sure I haven't been through a Mickey D's drive-thru since 2019, and haven't been inside one for even longer.

Last edited:
For me, traveling on I-95 , McDonalds is a welcome sight for road food. When I was in Colombia, McDonalds is revered.

then you're missing out...their soft serve is bery bery good.

I've got nothing against McDonald's. In fact, their fries are the best and I do like a Big Mac. But the young wife hates McDonalds, so it has been years since I've eaten there. She will tolerate Five Guys, so we occasionally go there.

I don't like soft serve ice cream, and I reserve my regular ice cream calorie allocation for Rich Farm in Oxford Connecticut, which serves only fresh from the cow deliciousness.

No fast food chains here. Don’t eat burgers either. Not a fan of ground beef other than in a ragu.

I probably go to Mickey D's less than once a year. Nothing against them, it is just that with other choices I can afford to spend more and not get hung up on the food cost. Not everyone has that option.

Those Taylor ice cream machines used by McDonalds 40 years ago had about 20 parts to clean. I was a Food Microbiologist and one of my duties was testing soft serve ice cream from fast food restaurants for compliance with food safety laws. We tested for coliform bacteria in the samples. In the summertime, about 40% of soft serve machines failed the coliform test. If a retest the next month failed, the soft serve machine was shut down for a period of time by order of the State.
So, this is the cause for a lot of the machines to be down.

Many years ago, my DW's business association national meeting had a motivational speaker who was an executive with McD's (I hear you saying "say what?") He was actually pretty good. He asked the group "Why do you go to McD's?" We all sheepishly kept silent. Fortunately, he let us off the hook and answered for us. He said (words to the effect) "It's not because the food is so good but because, no matter what city you are in, you KNOW EXACTLY what you will be getting - no surprises!" I think that's the fast food (in general) stock-in-trade. If you like Wendys chili in Stockton CA you'll like it in Zanesville OH. It won't be the best chili there (or anywhere else) but you won't have to try 50 mom-and-pop greasy spoon restaurants to find chili to your taste. Wendy's chili will be good enough if it's good enough anyplace.

THAT's why we (some of us) will go to a fast food restaurant. YMMV

Those Taylor ice cream machines used by McDonalds 40 years ago had about 20 parts to clean. I was a Food Microbiologist and one of my duties was testing soft serve ice cream from fast food restaurants for compliance with food safety laws. We tested for coliform bacteria in the samples. In the summertime, about 40% of soft serve machines failed the coliform test. If a retest the next month failed, the soft serve machine was shut down for a period of time by order of the State.
So, this is the cause for a lot of the machines to be down.
So the ones at Wendy's that always seem to work are full of bacteria? :(

I read today that a judge awarded a temporary restraining order against Taylor Company (McDonald's ice cream machine manufacturer). Back in May, Kytch, Inc. also filed a lawsuit against Taylor. Kytch makes a diagnostic tool to solve issues with the machines and they alleged that Taylor had "designed flawed code that caused the machines to malfunction" to profit from machine repairs. They also claim that Taylor had repeatedly, and under multiple aliases and e-mail addresses, tried to purchase a Kytch Device in order to learn trade secrets - which Taylor eventually admitted.

Who knew there was such corruption behind the Happy Meal company operations.

As I said in a previous post, twice a week I have breakfast with several guys at our local McDonalds. When we started there they had very good service, we could place our order and they would deliver it to out table, there was always someone around with coffee to warm our cup. Just outstanding service. After several years we started to notice the tables may have been wiped down, but still had a greasy film, the floor was sometimes like a skating rink. You didn't want to touch the seats because they felt greasy and the seats had large warn out sections. The last straw came when one guy got a bill for something like $5.32, because they didn't have any change they charged him $6.00. They kept his $0.68, we can all afford it, but it was the principal! They said it was OK, because they gave it to Ronald McDonald house. We moved our breakfast to a different restaurant. I sent a letter telling the owner of all the problems, I got a letter back saying thank you for giving us this opportunity to improve. Please except this 'Gift Card' as our apology. No 'Gift Card" was found in the envelope. :facepalm:

We started going to 'Biscuit World' We have been 4 times now and the service is wonderful. However, we got a printed flyer telling us that they will be closing the lobby on certain days because of lack of help. They hope to correct the situation soon. They had a bunch of college students working, but college starts soon and they will all be leaving. First World Problem. :(

The principal also will probably be heading back to school soon, so you won't have to worry about him stiffing you again.

The principal also will probably be heading back to school soon, so you won't have to worry about him stiffing you again.

The odd thing about this is the McDonalds was under the same manager through the whole period. From great service through the worst service through the round bills up because that didn't have any change. We did comment that they should round up from $0.50 and down from $0.49, but nope they were keeping it all. We have found Walmart rounds down on all bills, so a $2.97 bill costs you $2.00.

The question is why has Covid caused a change shortage, I assume it is caused by Covid.

In my area (DC metro) I don’t recall seeing any signs about coin shortages for the past 8 months or so. Maybe because I barely use cash anyway.

The bigger the money, the higher is the temptation to cheat, graft, cut corners, etc. Seems the reverse of what you might expect. Money corrupts (IMHO) though YMMV.

In my area (DC metro) I don’t recall seeing any signs about coin shortages for the past 8 months or so. Maybe because I barely use cash anyway.

I have a bad habit when using cash of simply sticking the change in a pocket and dumping it in a jar when I return home. That jar is pretty full. So when the first news of a coin shortage hit the wires, I asked my local bank if they were short on change. Nope! No shortage and they hadn't even heard of it. So, my change jar just gets closer to the top. I guess I'll eventually have to deal with it - or not.

I've have been to Walmart (virtuous need not comment) a few times lately
and had the self check out round down as much as $0.89. I have to assume that is because they lack change. My wife got a large round down at Winn Dixie a few days ago.

I've have been to Walmart (virtuous need not comment) a few times lately
and had the self check out round down as much as $0.89. I have to assume that is because they lack change. My wife got a large round down at Winn Dixie a few days ago.

I know the last time I went into Wal Mart there was only ONE cashier available that could take cash. I was happy to get out of there, because there were a LOT of annoyed customers.

I read today that a judge awarded a temporary restraining order against Taylor Company (McDonald's ice cream machine manufacturer). Back in May, Kytch, Inc. also filed a lawsuit against Taylor. Kytch makes a diagnostic tool to solve issues with the machines and they alleged that Taylor had "designed flawed code that caused the machines to malfunction" to profit from machine repairs. They also claim that Taylor had repeatedly, and under multiple aliases and e-mail addresses, tried to purchase a Kytch Device in order to learn trade secrets - which Taylor eventually admitted.

Ice cream machines and ice machines whether at McDonalds, any other fast food venue or restaurant, as well as motel ice machines are notorious for not being cleaned properly and having a mold and slime growth problem. I lost count of the news reports over the past decade or two.
I'll make my shakes and smoothies at home with better ingredients and clean ice.

Cheers1

Ice cream machines and ice machines whether at McDonalds, any other fast food venue or restaurant, as well as motel ice machines are notorious for not being cleaned properly and having a mold and slime growth problem. I lost count of the news reports over the past decade or two.
I'll make my shakes and smoothies at home with better ingredients and clean ice.

Cheers1

That is one of the illustrated issues with the proprietary Taylor machines that McDonald's require the franchisees to use. Much of the cleaning is automated and ANY fault value (whether a true fault or not) will result in the machine being locked out until there is a complete reboot which requires another automated cleaning session. All of this takes several hours.

I would LOVE to see some of the discovery that is coming out with the Taylor lawsuit...talk about dirty.

Ah, the news stories...aka "Kitchen Cops"...one of the original versions of "click bait."

The saga continues......

https://www.wsj.com/articles/mcdona...-is-on-it-11630522266?mod=trending_now_news_4

A few quotes for those on the wrong side of the pay wall.

For McDonald’s devotees, not to mention the company itself, a dysfunctional ice cream dispenser is no small matter. The shiny metal machines crank out concoctions that account for about 60% of the chain’s dessert sales in the U.S., according to a consumer survey by research firm Technomic Inc. Repeated breakdowns have led customers to draw up petitions demanding that something be done.
Owners of McDonald’s outlets have long complained the devices are overly complicated and their breakdowns hard to fix. The machines require a nightly automated heat-cleaning cycle that can last up to four hours to destroy bacteria. The cleaning cycle can fail, making the machines unusable until a repair technician can get them going again, owners say.
One selling point: Its warnings are in clear English. The Taylor machines’ own user messages, according to Kytch, are on the order of: “ERROR: XSndhUIF LHPR>45F 1HR LPROD too VISC."
Now that the lawyers and other black robes are involved we can be sure nothing will be resolved for years.
So relax and get a Frosty from Wendy's.

Last edited:
I see signs at many stores around here asking people to either pay with a credit card or exact change due to a coin shortage. I have no idea why there should suddenly be a coin shortage.

This is what the Fed has to say about it. https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/why-do-us-coins-seem-to-be-in-short-supply-coin-shortage.htm

For years I used a coin counting machine in my credit union lobby to cash out a basket of small change I had accumulated over the prior few months. The credit union lobby has been closed except by appointment for the last year or so. I probably have over $100 in change sitting on my desk as a result. Maybe I should make an appointment to cash in my coinage.

For years I used a coin counting machine in my credit union lobby to cash out a basket of small change I had accumulated over the prior few months. The credit union lobby has been closed except by appointment for the last year or so. I probably have over $100 in change sitting on my desk as a result. Maybe I should make an appointment to cash in my coinage.
You can also go through the self checkout at many stores and just pour coins into the machine. I wouldn't do a hundred bucks at a time, though. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom