Is the point of college to learn? If so, it isn't working

You really have to take these type of aticles with a grain of salt. They are designed to get you to read them so need to be somewhat controversial or otherwise surprising. Balance or reasonability not required.

I graduated college in 1980, so I cannot rightfully comment on today's college scene.
What I can say is I saw a huge difference in my department's (Physics and 3-2 Engineering) expectations of us than other degree programs. I roomed with Theatre, Art and Education majors. These 3 ladies had more free time than I thought was possible for full time students. They had less reading assignments, in-class time, and "homew*rk". So they socialized.
Not that I blamed them...but it just didn't make sense that there would be so little contact with professors or outside the classroom study requirements.
We all graduated into a dismal employment environment much like today. All three struggled for j*bs even remotely connected with their degrees. No luck for all three. None pursued more coursew*rk.
I alone landed an entry level computer programming j*b. I took more part time courses to progress in my career and eventually return to Engineering.

There is some truth in the opinion that college graduates "survived"...plenty of college graduates I have worked with over the years do not market the education portion of college well...not sure how much I "learned" of bona fide importance (particularly during my graduate program)...the bulk of my research was targeted towards my personal interests! No new skills...??

Dad (mechanical engineer at Aerojet at the time) used to tell me "we can train any monkey to do this..."

If you want a sample test, look here: http://www.collegiatelearningassessment.org/files/Architecture_of_the_CLA_Tasks.pdf

There are three sample questions, three actual student responses for each question, and scoring comments. I think I could cover it in one or two courses. It appears that "critical thinking" is supposed to be taught many classes, but no single prof or department is responsible. That's kind of a recipe for poor results.

I'd say that employers would like to believe college grads can do this type of stuff. But many jobs also require other, more specific knowledge (like how to depreciate office equipment).

IMO, much of the financial benefit of a generic degree has nothing to do with what you learn. You simply prove that you're reasonably bright and have some ability to manage your time. Those two things may be important to employers. But we should be able to find a way to demonstrate them without spending $100k on a four year degree. I think we're wasting lots of money on college degrees.

Another interesting nugget from the research:
Other details in the research:

•35% of students report spending five or fewer hours per week studying alone. Yet, despite an "ever-growing emphasis" on study groups and collaborative projects, students who study in groups tend to have lower gains in learning.

•50% said they never took a class in a typical semester where they wrote more than 20 pages; 32% never took a course in a typical semester where they read more than 40 pages per week.

Report: First two years of college show small gains - USATODAY.com

I started my first college class in 1965. I found out real quick that college was not for me. I did go for two semesters but left in the summer of 66. I cannot remember much about what was taught. I do remember drinking lots of beer and all the pretty girls:D. I must have learned something.
I spent the next four years working for uncle sam because my grades were not up to par. What a great time to grow up, the sixties:greetings10:

Grew up in an in a large inner city.Public schools.Worked a few years after H.S. As a sanitation man.Nothing wrong with that.Went to college in late 20s got a good job.Reason why I"M in E.R. now.When I left my company I noticed all the new folks were mostly young,Asian,Indian, and college educated.Make what you want out of that.College ,trade school,whatever.Learn something that will be in demand.Yes I also like to drink beer.

Back
Top Bottom