Is there an undervalued asset class in the house?

Just curious: As long as you are throwing it over the wall, why not throw it into a Roth rather than taxable?

Yes, of course that had occurred to me. I understand the IRS can let you take 2 years to convert? It doesn't have to be in one slug, eh?

But then I'd be deliberately incurring a much bigger tax bill. We pay zero, and have paid zero for a bunch of years, already.

Also, since she's so much younger than me, there's a separate inheritance table which will apply after I'm gone. There's 19 years between us. That particular "draw-down" table applies when the surviving spouse is 10+ years younger. It gives her more time to control the $$$ WITHIN the IRA. She can sit on it for longer than in all other cases where an IRA is inherited. I'm aware of the draw-down requirement for a non-spouse individual who inherits a T-IRA. There is a 10-year rule, eh?

At any rate, paying zero federal tax feels like a gift. I'm not going to look a gift-horse in the mouth. :D. It's a nice problem to have.

(Sorry that I seem to be turning an (ancient) thread about undervalued assets into another thread about Roth conversions.)

You can convert any amount of the tIRA that you wish, over as many years as you wish. You may want to take the amount that you were going to withdraw and put into taxable, and convert just that amount to a Roth. In other words, up to the top of you 0% bracket. You can have your 0% "gift horse," and ALSO pay no taxes on the earnings

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom