Is this the earliest Christmas ever?

We have de minimis decorations inside the house, because we have feline criminals living with us.

Here's another solution:

Attachments

• cat_frustration.png
    cat_frustration.png
    536 KB · Views: 2
I have never done a single decoration for any holiday at my own home. I don't care what any other neighbor does for decorations and they shouldn't care what I do or don't do. As long as they are not hammering nails at night or putting dead trees in my yard then why would I care?

It's not too late to start.

I don't have money for non-necessities. Also, virtually any activity causes extra pain so not worth it. If you have the money and physical ability then that's great but not everyone does. It would be nice to at least have one or the other.

We have de minimis decorations inside the house, because we have feline criminals living with us.

Two of my 4 feral cats come in the house every day. They save all their crimes for outside, and night. Perfect princesses by day. They do like to sit under the tree though, and I've used their posing for holiday cards:

Attachments

• mama and boo under tree.jpg
    mama and boo under tree.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 2
I don't have money for non-necessities. Also, virtually any activity causes extra pain so not worth it. If you have the money and physical ability then that's great but not everyone does. It would be nice to at least have one or the other.
Understood. Definitely need to keep priorities in order and not subject yourself to unnecessary pain. I'm pretty conservative with any decorating.

I enjoy this time of year and will decorate, but not until after Thanksgiving. I’ll usually get a tree and decorate the first weekend in December.

The trees have gotten smaller now that kids are older, but I can’t foresee ever not getting a tree. We’ve always gotten a real tree. Weird tradition, but I like it.

Here's another solution:

Heh, heh, back in the day, that wouldn't have even slowed our cat down. He could jump from the bathroom floor to the ledge surrounding the shower. He loved to sit up there when we took our showers (pervert!)

Hanging a tree from the ceiling would have been a minor challenge to him.:LOL:

My dad had a side hustle one year. He sold Christmas trees and Christmas wreaths and greens. When all was finished on Christmas eve, there wasn't a single Christmas tree left for us. So, from extra scraps of greens he had laying around, he took a piece of plywood and "built" a Christmas tree with the greens in a tree pattern stapled onto the wood. It was my only memorable Christmas tree from my youth. Funny what you value and what you remember. YMMV

Saw a truck full of trees Tuesday. All I could think of was what shape they'd be in come Christmas Eve. A pile of brown needles on the floor, I would think.

As kids we always got our trees a few days before Christmas. Decorated it Christmas Eve. I think everyone we knew did the same.

DM used to always complain about people putting up trees way too early.

But from what I can see that last past Christmas.

For us it is. We will be in Mexico until December 17 so we have finished the shopping early for our grandchildren and our children.

Put the Xmas lights out last week on a warm day. We may not even bother with an tree this year.

Humbug!

Last edited:
We have 28 acres in the mountains with hundreds (thousands) of small noble fir, douglas fir, and even a few blue spruce (not sure how those got there). I cut down a 6 foot noble with a very Christmas tree look yesterday and figured I would just go get another one in a few weeks if it dries out.

Some of them are growing just a couple feet apart so I don't feel bad about culling them.

I could be wrong, but I remember from a few years ago reading that most all of the trees at the big lots are cut in October. So buying one now or in a week or three doesn't give it any better chance at making it past Christmas. Just important to keep it watered either way.

I went "full fake" about 15 years ago and never looked back. It's a pretty nice tree from the old HD Expo fancy line stores that closed soon into the recession. I got a great sale in the fall of 2008 when retail was starting to get shaky. The lights have since been replaced, but I have definitively gotten my money's worth in savings from the real trees over the years.

We've given up on anything other than a 2 ft. artificial tree as we simply have no place to store an artificial tree. "Real" trees are outrageously expensive. Our little tree gives us just enough Christmas cheer to get us by for the season. YMMV

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom