It's better to be lucky than good

teejayevans

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was transferring money from 401k to my IRA, I used USPS priority mail, which should have taken 2 days, instead it took 3, and arrived today, so I saved myself probably 2+%, thank you USPS.
:)

Congratulations!, although perhaps that's not the right word. The only time in my own experience where the vicissitudes of the US mail saved me more than that was an investment that fortuitously arrived at my mutual fund headquarters on October 19, 1987 - Black Monday. Getting there on Monday instead of the previous Friday saved me over 20%. That was only a $250 investment, so the total savings was small, but it still made me feel good the way it happened.

I put in to transfer my 401K on Friday. Even though the paperwork was emailed it appears that the transfer went through yesterday. I won't know for sure till I see how much the check is for.

I don't like the idea that the paperwork was emailed Friday afternoon and it wasn't closed that day. Why would it take that long. My other accounts close out mutual funds at the end of day price. I'll be pissed if I find out I end up with the low of the week, they claim it takes 5-6 days to close and send a check.

I was transferring money from 401k to my IRA, I used USPS priority mail, which should have taken 2 days, instead it took 3, and arrived today, so I saved myself probably 2+%, thank you USPS.
:)
Priority mail isn't 2 day anymore as I discovered this week!

Yes, it is better to be lucky than good.

But I do not know how to be lucky, so I have been trying to be good.

Still have a problem, because people's definitions of good vary.

Oh well, I have been doing "good" my own way. So far, so good (Am I repeating the word too often?).

Apparently I spoke too soon, and the FIRE gods are punishing me...guess this is that correction everybody was talking about

Ha! That was my dad's motto. "I'd rather be lucky than good any day."

I thought that term only applied to golf. I see now that I was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom