JIF Peanut Butter Recall 5/20/22 for Salmonella

Looking forward to restocking my supplies of Jif. I consider it one of the main food groups and it is high on my list of "survival" foods. When a hurricane is brewing, Jif is the first thing I check to be sure we could survive for 14 days (roughly the length of time for a storm to pass and food shelves to be - at least partially - restocked following a storm. YMMV

Oh no! I guess I'm part of this!

We normally eat only Smuckers all natural (oil separates, no sugar).

But I have a stash of "Jif To Go" little cups for when I go on disaster relief trips. I'm about to go to Kentucky for the floods, and I would bring my remaining To Go cups along. Bzzzt! Not this time, the lot code matches.

Thanks to this thread for waking me up.

I just got an email from JIF stating "sorry for delay - should receive your coupon by mid September" or words to that effect.

And still no return of crunchy PB on the shelves. Not just Jif, but no skippy crunchy either. What happened?

And still no return of crunchy PB on the shelves. Not just Jif, but no skippy crunchy either. What happened?

I know, kind of hard to believe and I hear nothing about what the holdup is all about.

I'm all for the PB that is all peanuts and nothing else. OK, salt. Salt is a good preservative too. Yeah the oil floats on top so you have to stir, but it's worth it.

Yeah, you gotta have some salt!

Agreed, stirring is worth it. DH gets out the electric beaters. Gets the PB in a bowl, beats it good, puts it back in the jar.

My favorite PB is Santa Cruz brand dark roasted crunchy. So much flavor!

I've really grown to love the taste of the all natural. What I don't like is it gets messy if you don't mix it enough, and I tried the mixer thing one time, and never again. Too much work. It's okay, the drippy mess is just a slight irritation.

I know, kind of hard to believe and I hear nothing about what the holdup is all about.

For some reason, I MUCH prefer crunchy to smooth. I wonder if there is some concern about the peanut chunks leading to salmonella introduction?? I hope not.

To me the no-stir sweetened peanut butter tastes awful.

To each his own, obviously.

I love peanut butter and usually have a jar of each type (natural--stir type and fully sugared non-stir type) open. Which one I choose to eat at a given time depends on my mood.

For some reason, I MUCH prefer crunchy to smooth. I wonder if there is some concern about the peanut chunks leading to salmonella introduction?? I hope not.

I like crunchy too but nationwide, smooth is more popular. They are using their manufacturing capacity to restock the best seller first.

I like crunchy too but nationwide, smooth is more popular. They are using their manufacturing capacity to restock the best seller first.

AaahHAAHHH!:facepalm: That makes sense.:flowers:

I just got an email from Jif yesterday, saying sorry for the wait but mailed coupons will be sent out mid-September.

Jif is back on the shelf at BJs.

I haven't checked the grocery store. We have an unopened jar of Skippy, so I'll wait to PB until we open that jar. I'm not fussy about the brand, but DH is. I don't eat much PB, but I do use some in cooking a couple of times per year.

I just got an email from Jif yesterday, saying sorry for the wait but mailed coupons will be sent out mid-September.

Same here.

I guess they want to wait until the grocery store shelves are fully restocked before they unleash the hordes of people with free coupons.

One thing, we now know how long it takes for a national food product to fully restock their product after a recall.

Unhealthy refined seed oils are also added to make the peanut butter “no stir”.

Our store brand natural peanut butter is roasted peanuts and salt for about $1.80 a jar. You need to stir it, but we found that the first stir plus storing in the fridge is all you need to do. It then stays in the stirred state.

Our store brand natural peanut butter is roasted peanuts and salt for about $1.80 a jar. You need to stir it, but we found that the first stir plus storing in the fridge is all you need to do. It then stays in the stirred state.

Yes, exactly.

Same here.

I guess they want to wait until the grocery store shelves are fully restocked before they unleash the hordes of people with free coupons.

One thing, we now know how long it takes for a national food product to fully restock their product after a recall.

That is so true! As human nature one forgets the enormous task it is and think things should happen faster.

Is it one of the Kroger stores? Fry's sells Kroger natural peanut butter for $1.79 a jar. After I buy it I store it upside down in the cupboard until I am ready to use it, that way the oil is at the bottom when I go to stir it. After it's good and mixed I keep in the refrigerator and it stays mixed, as you say.

Is it one of the Kroger stores? Fry's sells Kroger natural peanut butter for $1.79 a jar. After I buy it I store it upside down in the cupboard until I am ready to use it, that way the oil is at the bottom when I go to stir it. After it's good and mixed I keep in the refrigerator and it stays mixed, as you say.

Yes, it is one of the Kroger stores and the Kroger “Natural” peanut butter. We love it. Simple ingredients - all two of them. LOL.

Yeah, peanuts and salt. Whip it up in a blender and call it your own - :)

Yeah, peanuts and salt. Whip it up in a blender and call it your own - :)

Since I like mine crunchy, I'll just skip the blender. Bite of bread - handful of salted peanuts. Eliminate ALL the middle men (Oooops - or middle women.) YMMV

My USPS informed delivery email shows I will be getting an envelope today from Smuckers. It may be the coupons, but it could also just be an apology letter over the delays. I'll post the answer later today. I applied for the coupons in the first few hours that the site was open, so I'm hopeful that they're finally beginning to mail out the coupons.

I received a JIF coupon in the mail today. It's a coupon for "any 1 JIF product" up to $11.50, exp 6/30/23. I'm a little confused because I filed a rebate form for 2 40oz jars that I purchased in a two pack. Is this rebate for 1 jar and I will receive another one or is it for both jars in the two pack?
While its not a big deal, if the rebate is for the whole two pack it would've been nice if the limit was high enough to actually buy a replacement two pack.

Last edited:
I received a JIF coupon in the mail today. It's a coupon for "any 1 JIF product" up to $11.50, exp 6/30/23. I'm a little confused because I filed a rebate form for 2 40oz jars that I purchased in a two pack. Is this rebate for 1 jar and I will receive another one or is it for both jars in the two pack?
While its not a big deal, if the rebate is for the whole two pack it would've been nice if the limit was high enough to actually buy a replacement two pack.

I realize prices have gone up, but IIRC, $11.50 would cover a 40oz 2-pack at our Costco - though that would be Skipy and not Jif:mad:. I think at this point, I'd take what I got and feel good I didn't have to return something in person or by mail. YMMV of course.

Back
Top Bottom