Job Evaluation

Sue said:
My question is how do I answer this questionnaire?  If I answer truthfully, I will be criticizing my supervisor in writing and he will most likely retaliate in my evaluation to justify his past actions.  On the other hand, if I ignore all his past actions, there will be no documentation of previous inequities and he could still attack/discredit me in my evaluation. 

The official explanation for the employee questionnaire is that it provides “an opportunity for opening communication” between supervisor and employee during the evaluation process, but I feel like I am being set-up.  I have been considering two different approaches.  One approach would be to just focus on inequities which can be documented (salary and promotion) and not address anything anecdotal or subjective.   The other approach would be to play it safe by answering the questionnaire with innocuous statements.

Say nothing that will provoke retaliation and let them everything is just fine.  Companies/managers use these useless evaluations and questionaires with the intention of showing they have "good intentions"  But when the paperwork is put in, and bad things are said affecting certain people, be sure that the sharks teeth will appear, and retaliation is very possible.

In this insane world, those with good intentions and integrity are not rewarded.  Its those who play dirty who get the gold.

It's best to say nothing negative, and possibly even give praise where none is due, you have to think systematically, cause and effect.

jug

possibly even give praise where none is due

I strongly disagree because undeserved praise can come back to bite you.  It is safe to recognize the manager's efforts so long as you keep to the concrete things you know (long hours, unexpected difficulties).

Were I you I would state something to the effect that you will make every effort to meet the manager's goals and support the corporate effort to (do whatever). 

Brat said:
I strongly disagree because undeserved praise can come back to bite you.  It is safe to recognize the manager's efforts so long as you keep to the concrete things you know (long hours, unexpected difficulties).

Were I you I would state something to the effect that you will make every effort to meet the manager's goals and support the corporate effort to (do whatever). 

I agree with Brat. The trick is to not puke all over the place when you do it and to make it appear to be a sincere satement of support for management and company misdirection goals. Management loves a suckup...the trick is to make it look real and to not be seen as a phoney. :D

SteveR said:
Our bonus for the year will be maybe 12% of base.

Our bonus, if exists, will be 0.3% because of a significant reduction in sales.

Spanky said:
Our bonus, if exists, will be 0.3% because of a significant reduction in sales.
Your company hands out bonuses for reducing sales?!?

Last time I got a bonus (1998), I was downsized six months later...

No thanks... :p

Still, we may get profit sharing (another relatively rare occurance).

Nords said:
Your company hands out bonuses for reducing sales?!?

In the past, our bonus was in the 15% to 20% range based on sales growth, project milestones, quality goals, and so on.

Since our sales number falls short of expectation, the projected bonus is 0.3% as opposed to 15% as planned (a year ago).

I agree with Brat. The trick is to not puke all over the place when you do it and to make it appear to be a sincere satement of support for management and company misdirection goals. Management loves a suckup...the trick is to make it look real and to not be seen as a phoney. :D

"Honesty is the key. If you can fake that, you've got it made." George Burns >:D

Back
Top Bottom