Jon Steward rips CNBC and Santelli

Not really a story. If John agreed with them; that would be a story. John made his mark bashing Bush and supporting Obama. Check his ratings; I'd guess they are down.
+++++
If you want a story that might be indicative of some thing going on in this country it is Beck's numbers. - 2pm on west coast; 5pm east coast. I think The Daily Show get about 200K viewers.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-foxnews6-2009mar06,0,5964042,full.story
His eponymous 2 p.m. PST program averaged nearly 2.2 million viewers last month -- double the number the time slot attracted the previous February and a remarkable amount for the afternoon. That made "Glenn Beck" the third most-watched program in all of cable news for the month, after Bill O'Reilly's and Sean Hannity's evening shows.

Not really a story.
Whut? The Daily show is usually where I get my news! Of course I also read this forum to be a well rounded, up-to-date, optimistic woman. :rolleyes:.....:flowers:

Me thinks this afternoon, I'll try to find the Three Stooges episode where Curly is shaving a block of ice and says, "Are you married or are you happy?"

sCh_3stooges.gif

I don't watch The Daily Show or CNBC, but I enjoyed watching that clip :ROFLMAO:

Comedy

Here are some of Glenn Beck's views on our country.

"I think our country is on the verge of disintegration."

""If I told you what I really believe was going to come -- I've made people cry," he said in an interview. "I think we're headed for real trouble.

Now, that is what I would call shameful fear mongering. If that's what you want to do to get ratings, be my guest.

b.

Everyone! Step away from the television!!

Now, go outside and play...

What HFWR said.

Take a breath it will be okay.

Nobody was LESS in favor of bailing out banks or brokers than Rick Santelli

Saluki9, can you provide a source for that? I need to keep plenty of ammo on hand. The Santelli bashers keep using that as their comeback - and I don't have anything (yet).

TIA - ERD50

I think the Santelli defenders need to take a chill pill. From what I saw in the clip, Santelli's antics was just a lead in to the bigger jokes not related to Santelli.

I think the Santelli defenders need to take a chill pill. From what I saw in the clip, Santelli's antics was just a lead in to the bigger jokes not related to Santelli.

Maybe, but I was not asking about Santelli in the context of that clip, I just meant Santelli in general.

And if he is being a hypocrite, I won't defend him, I'll call him out on it.

That's why I was asking for information, rather than just trying to put him in a pre-determined box.

-ERD50

Maybe, but I was not asking about Santelli in the context of that clip, I just meant Santelli in general.

And if he is being a hypocrite, I won't defend him, I'll call him out on it.

That's why I was asking for information, rather than just trying to put him in a pre-determined box.

-ERD50

That is actually the sanest thing I have heard all day. Thanks for the clarification.

I agree it was mostly a lead-in to take jabs at CNBC in general, I agree. But before going to the other CNBC clowns, by focusing one piece of Santelli's rant and making it sound like he was perfectly fine with Wall Street bailouts is, I think, misleading at best and downright dishonest at worst. I don't think the show had any reason to assume Santelli had been a cheerleader for Wall Street bailouts. They just chose to assume it, I think, because the demographics of that show's audience would probably like to think so.

making it sound like he was perfectly fine with Wall Street bailouts is, I think, misleading at best and downright dishonest at worst.

There it is! You've won the youbet understatement of the day award. Congratulations!

Everyone needs to remember that Jon Steward is a schrewd businessman employed as a comedian. He's willing to say whatever it takes to improve ratings, solidify viewer loyalty and make $$$! It's his gig. It's what he does.

If I remember correctly (CNBC is on all day at work) Santelli has been relatively consistently against government intervention throughout this process. His "rant" against the mortgage bailout is pretty typical of his style. But when taken as a single clip and replayed constantly, it gives the impression that he was especially exercised about this particular policy. I don't think that is necessarily a fair portrayal.

Having said that, I happen to know a fair number of the "silent majority" who currently would not be getting paychecks (and bonuses) were it not for government bailouts. They share Santelli's view about the mortgage plan almost without exception. ;)

Everyone needs to remember that Jon Steward is a schrewd businessman employed as a comedian. He's willing to say whatever it takes to improve ratings, solidify viewer loyalty and make $$$! It's his gig. It's what he does.

This is worth remembering about Rush, Olberman, O'Reilly, Cramer, Kudlow, etc.

This is worth remembering about Rush, Olberman, O'Reilly, Cramer, Kudlow, etc.

and Couric, Gibson, Williams

I'm a pretty conservative guy, but I think Steward is the funniest act in show business today. And that was a great clip. Nothing works better than irony to expose some truths.

I'm a pretty conservative guy, but I think Steward is the funniest act in show business today. And that was a great clip. Nothing works better than irony to expose some truths.

Do you really think there truth is to be found on John Stewart's show or just his point of view presented in a funny way so that people will watch and commercial time can be sold?

As others have mentioned the "truths" have not been established as such.

Jon Stewart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
born Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz

Do you really think there truth is to be found on John Stewart's show or just his point of view presented in a funny way so that people will watch and commercial time can be sold?

Absolutely no truth on Stewards' show. CNBC never pumped stocks or companies that were in a death spiral. :)

Absolutely no truth on Stewards' show. CNBC never pumped stocks or companies that were in a death spiral. :)

It is good that you linked those two shows because they do have some things in common.
I watched a few shows of the Daily Show and stopped when it became predictable - a major sin in comedy.
I think people who watch the Daily Show it fall into one or more of the following categories:
- supports a predetermined opinion they have about a subject
- feels a sense of community - others laughs - I belong
- mistakes cynicism for criticism
- mistakes cynicism for analytical thinking
- mistakenly think there is some research going, instead of just joke writers
- mistake it for a news show

I was thinking about comedy shows the other day and wondering how shows like the Howard Stern Show have such a strong following.
My guess is that people can get stuck in certain types of humor.
Bathroom jokes - grade school level
Sex Jokes - high school level
Differences jokes - ethnic, man/woman - college freshman?
Cynicism Jokes - The Daily Show - college sophomore level - sophomoric

Observational Humor - ? Level

I think people who watch the Daily Show it fall into one or more of the following categories:
- supports a predetermined opinion they have about a subject
- feels a sense of community - others laughs - I belong
- mistakes cynicism for criticism
- mistakes cynicism for analytical thinking
- mistakenly think there is some research going, instead of just joke writers
- mistake it for a news show

Good list. I would add one more:

Thinks cynicism is a good antidote to idealogues and demagogues, and enjoys someone responding with a f* you when a ponzi schemer is idolized on CNBC.

John Steward in the same category as Howard Stern :confused:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom