just another best retirement places site

timo2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Regarding previous best places to live: this one is by locality, not just state.

"SeniorScore™ is the first livability index formulated specifically for senior citizens. It is an un-biased, data-driven algorithm that incorporates over 100 data points from numerous sources including Medicare, the US Census Bureau, and other various government and private databases. The goal of SeniorScore™ is to determine how well a specific location accommodates the comfort and needs of senior citizens. The SeniorScore™ is broken out into four different categories: Health and Safety ; Recreation and Leisure ; Finances ;General Quality of Life"

https://www.senioradvice.com/seniorscore

Interesting post. Thanks.
Checked it out for my area in Florida. Reasonably accurate overall, but understates the number of hospitals and overstates the crime rate even if technically the far edge of the zip code away from me has some crime.

Interesting post. Thanks.
Checked it out for my area in Florida. Reasonably accurate overall, but understates the number of hospitals and overstates the crime rate even if technically the far edge of the zip code away from me has some crime.

There was a bunch wrong about my place. state taxes was too low, hospitals was too low, property crime too low. But on average, for my state, it seemed OK, and the errors seem to balance out.

Rating tools that don't allow a user to set their own weighting factors are of minimal value. This article pretty much covers their faults but does also suggest some alternative tools:

"The ‘Best’ Places to Move in Retirement? They’re All Over the Map"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/05/...ve-in-retirement-theyre-all-over-the-map.html

For example:
Bert Sperling, the founder of a website that ranks places across the United States based on quality-of-life factors, keeps a running tab of best-places-to-retire surveys, and he counts nearly 40 of them. Media and personal finance websites, think tanks and even insurance companies produce the rankings.The quality varies, Mr. Sperling said: “Some are very analytical, and others are casual in their approach, with little justification provided for their choices.”
With so many surveys and rankings, you’d think that America’s retirees are a horde of itinerants. But relatively few people really do move in retirement.
Only six-tenths of 1 percent of Americans over age 55 moved across a state line in 2015, according to an analysis of Census Bureau data by William Frey, a demographer at the Brookings Institution. (The population he looked at includes people who are still working.)

Kind of accurate for my zip code. Scored at 90. I am thinking of building my retirement home here.

Senior advice says I shouldn't live here

Very wrong.
No hospitals in area? There are three within 15 minutes. Two are regional centres.
Nice to see the funeral home listed as the nearest park.

I agree that this site has many inaccuracies. Said no hospitals in my zip code. I live 5 minutes from one of the largest hospitals in the state. Also said we get a lot of rain. Not true, drought is more like it.

Mostly incorrect information about my area also.
Totally incorrect about my area. There's a lot of malls in the area too! I'm not sure there's a mall within 100 miles.

It was right on some things and wrong about others.
Gave my area a score of 67, which I think is low. People love the area and want
to move here.

One of the golf courses they mention nearby closed at least five years ago. Probably more like eight years.

My neighborhood gets a 93 score and I agree. So there is at least some validity to it in some areas.

Back
Top Bottom