Just got a new toy.

Second question , Do you get world wide reception with them ? and
Thanks Al ,for answering my first question .

Can you use the kindle while you are on an airplane ?

I hope to never again board one of those cattle-cars-in-the-sky (don't hold me to it) but here is how it would go if you can use it with the wireless turned off (maybe in my private jet): wake up in Miami, the NY Times articles are already downloaded. Suffer a couple of hours on the plane, can read anything that is already stored on the device, including the Times. Layover in Detroit, turn on wireless at the cafe, NY Times automatically downloads mid-day update. Later land in Calgary, but Sprint wireless does not work there (or in most places outside the U.S.) Again can read any of the 200+ items stored on the device or an SD card.

Edited to add: according to the Kindle Discussions Forum, dated today, you have to turn the Kindle off completely during take off and landing but can use it with the wireless (Whispernet) turned off during the flight.

Last edited:
I assume that hubbie has communicated well with a good optometrist, and gotten the ideal reading glasses prescription. Yes?

Of course. That was the first thing we did. He has had poor vision since childhood and has always worn glasses. He has functioned normally (Has a Ph.d) through out his life however there are limits to what glasses can correct at this stage of the game now that he is older and has medical issues that are affecting his vision. He has had bilateral lens implants and can see fine at distance but now has difficulty with things close up.
He no longer drives a car after sundown and knows that his time on the motorcycle is fast coming to an end. (He only rides during the day and pulls off the road to string his hammock to rest.)

One of his greatest pleasures is reading so in order to read at the same level that he has in the past he needs some sort of magnification and increased lighting to cut down on fatigue. We have found that full spectrum lighting helps and are happy that he now has this Kindle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom