Kidney cyst question

Act2

Recycles dryer sheets
Dear friend is in the hospital tonight with a benign kidney cyst that is large enough to impact his liver. He’s in a great deal of pain and it sounds like the plan is to drain the cyst.

Has anyone had this experience? Did it relieve any pain?

I have not had this experience but I have PKD (polycystic kidney disease). I will follow this thread. I get little pains or pinches here and there. Nothing dramatic. My nephrologist has never suggested draining any of my cysts. I am so sorry for your friend. Kidney cysts are common, but one that size is scary.

Sorry to say that my cousin's husband had a kidney cyst drained a couple of weeks ago in an effort to reduce pain, but within hours the pain returned. His nephrologist then removed the kidney a few days later. He is doing much better now.

Well, wow. Thank you for sharing. Hope he’s doing better.

His doctor decided that the pain is not being caused by the cyst. They did an ultrasound and MRI to check gallbladder and spine and have no explanation. They are discharging him. He is not pleased because he fears the pain will return. It is somewhat improved, however. But they did not drain the cyst.

His doctor decided that the pain is not being caused by the cyst. They did an ultrasound and MRI to check gallbladder and spine and have no explanation. They are discharging him. He is not pleased because he fears the pain will return. It is somewhat improved, however. But they did not drain the cyst.

Oh no. OP took this in a different direction. Not to scare your friend, but he should be checked for a small bowel obstruction. It happened to me. Same thing in 2017. Lots of pain over 2 months. First thought of gall bladder and scheduled a surgery. Before the surgery, my pain was nonstop unbelievable pain. This progressed over 2 months until a full-on obstruction.

They saw it in the ER...finally! I had an NG tube for 4 days until the small bowel relaxed and all the gunk that accumulated was out. I would have died. The gall bladder turned out to be a non-issue and I never did need that surgery. How does that happen? Surgeons want to do surgery, sadly they're not always necessary. And docs are not infallible. They make mistakes. I'm glad the new girl on the block was in the ER that night. She spotted it.

Sorry to say that my cousin's husband had a kidney cyst drained a couple of weeks ago in an effort to reduce pain, but within hours the pain returned. His nephrologist then removed the kidney a few days later. He is doing much better now.
Being that I was born with only one, the thought of kidney problems scares me.

While getting an ultrasound about 12 years ago, the results showed I had several cysts on my right kidney, one the size of a golf ball. Not to worry I was told, so I haven't.

Back
Top Bottom