Kim Clijsters Retires Early at 23.

retire@40

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
By CONSTANT BRAND, Associated Press Writer
May 6, 2007

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- Her muscles aching when she gets out bed, Kim Clijsters is done with tennis at 23.

The former U.S. Open champion, once ranked No. 1, initially planned to quit after the season. Now, with injuries having exacted too much and her thoughts turning to family and a "new life," her retirement is immediate.

"Health and private happiness are so much more important," she said on her Web site Sunday.

Still ranked No. 4, Clijsters said she was wary of the injuries that have led to fatigue, lack of motivation and a decline in play.

"It's tiring to get out of bed and to use an hour just to warm up stiff muscles in the morning," she wrote in Dutch on her online diary. "The constant injuries and continual rehabilitation ... it makes it all even more difficult to go on."

Clijsters made the decision after losing in straight sets to Ukrainian qualifier Julia Vakulenko in her final match Thursday, failing to defend her title in Warsaw, Poland.

Clijsters has been playing for 10 years and won 34 career singles titles, including the 2002 and 2003 WTA Championships. She had wanted to go out with style, making Wimbledon the last Grand Slam tournament of her career. Instead, her summer will be marked by her July 14 wedding to Brian Lynch, a former Villanova basketball player now playing in Belgium.

"It has been more than fun, but the rackets are being hung up," she said. "To retire before the age of 24, it is very young -- but it was so beautiful. I would have been able to continue for a few months and to take part in the four most lucrative tournaments (three Grand Slams and the Masters). Money is important, but not the most important thing in my life."

Sports figures usually dont retire so young. Their job tends to be a passion for them. Thats why they will play till the end broken body and all. Interesting seeing someone hang it up so young.

Believe it was more of a weight problem. That and seeing her x boyfriend at every tournment probably does not help either.

Sounds to me like she had 10 years of good work.... that is a long time for a professional athlete...

I am a bit surprised she just doesn't cut back some... enough so she can 'heal', but still do the Grand Slams and a few she might like to do...

retire@40 said:
The former U.S. Open champion, once ranked No. 1, initially planned to quit after the season. Now, with injuries having exacted too much and her thoughts turning to family and a "new life," her retirement is immediate.
Yeah, right, and Lance Armstrong has put away his cycling shorts, too.

The personality traits that got them to the top will keep them coming back for more. I bet this takes less than two years.

Nords said:
Yeah, right, and Lance Armstrong has put away his cycling shorts, too.

The personality traits that got them to the top will keep them coming back for more. I bet this takes less than two years.

LOL... yea... how many times has Roger Clements retired:confused: But, if you can work a short year and make $18 mill... work every fourth day and not have to go with the team if you do not have to pitch:confused:

As the news guys were saying tonight.... he loves the spotlight and it is the brighest as a Yankee...

To tell the truth... I actually think Lance will not 'compete' again... he might ride some, but not like he did before.. with the killer instinct.. he has moved on with his life and is now into charity work.. JMO..

Aha, Clijsters, our Belgian pride!

She is quite set, her father Lei Clijsters (also a former athlete) managed her finances quite well.

They even fired her coach 2 years ago. It was a life long friend, but they 'd rather cut the cost. I am sure Kim is FI.

Probably she will host/do the PR/... (for) the Proximus Diamond Games in Antwerp from now on.

I have always wondered my more athletes don't consider this. Especially in sports than can take a substantial toll on one's body - football comes immediately to mind.

I guess the love of playing factors in. That, and ignorance of retirement/FI possibilities..... and the houses, boats, and bling.... I guess it's making sense now.

I have always wondered my more athletes don't consider this. Especially in sports than can take a substantial toll on one's body - football comes immediately to mind.

I guess the love of playing factors in. That, and ignorance of retirement/FI possibilities..... and the houses, boats, and bling.... I guess it's making sense now.

NFL players are the MOST UNDERPAID of all professional sports........look at the beating they take. How often have you heard of a basketball or baseball player suffering a "career-ending" injury??

I'd let you beat me with a stick for 3 hours a week, once a week, for 16 weeks a year for $35M.

Nah, vets get to stand around and watch the rooks get beat up, then make them get me water.

But what the hell, if you've got the $35M, you can beat me with a stick twice a day. I worked in a crappy high tech job for 25 years, whats the diff? ;)

Minor-league baseball players are "underpaid" relative to the major league players. In general, pay is determined by the marketplace. The market (team owners, sponsors, fans, etc) sets the pay based on perceived values.

NFL players are the MOST UNDERPAID of all professional sports........look at the beating they take. How often have you heard of a basketball or baseball player suffering a "career-ending" injury??
How about hockey? Less pay, higher speed hits, harder landing.

How about hockey? Less pay, higher speed hits, harder landing.

Ding Ding and DING!

I played everything in high school. Hockey was the worst. Nothing like going around the back of the net and having some guy kamakazi in from the blue line and putting you into the wall.

Lots of fun when you see him coming and sidestep though.

Back
Top Bottom