Label makers

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
I make labels for lots of stuff in my workshop. Toolboxes, drawers, etc - label the contents so I can quickly find what I'm looking for.

I can read them ok, but they don't stick for long. I've had to put scotch tape over the labels to hold them on.

Anyone for a good label maker recommendation for labels that stick well?

I use a small Brother label printer and have used legitimate Brother label stock and cheap Chinese stock from Amazon and have never had a problem with either sticking. For a dirty area like a workshop I'd clean the surface with isopropyl or denatured alcohol first.

I have a lot of those small parts drawer (like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKUSYS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

I have made my own labels with a bigger Avery shipping label that I print all the names and then cut into the small strips to go on each draw. Avery also makes very small labels but then you have to get a template and that is fiddlier.

My "shop" is in the house as it's mainly craft supplies, but they've stuck for years.

In my office we used a Brother to label files, shelves, drawers, etc. Never had any issue with them not sticking. In fact it was more of an issue if we needed to remove one. That took some work.

Where do you live? Here in Louisiana with our high humidity I find no tape sticks well, especially to cardboard that may have more moisture present. In lower humidity areas tape works better.

I've had great luck with a Brother label printer. I’ve have had my current one for about 10 years with no issues. The modal I have will print both laminated (more durable) and file folder labels, and has a USB connection for even more printing options. The file folder ones are great for when you just want to print one or two.

Where do you live? Here in Louisiana with our high humidity I find no tape sticks well, especially to cardboard that may have more moisture present. In lower humidity areas tape works better.

Live in northern Illinois in a high humidity area. That could be part of the problem.

People here and on the garage forum mentioned Brother label makers. I’m now thinking about getting a brother PTH111 that accepts high adhesive label tape.

Live in northern Illinois in a high humidity area. That could be part of the problem.

People here and on the garage forum mentioned Brother label makers. I’m now thinking about getting a brother PTH111 that accepts high adhesive label tape.

I forgot to mention, the laminated labels has held up well in our commercial freezer that gets down to -20°F, on plastic tubs.

I use this one. Great if you make labels occasionally but might be frustrating if you need to make lots of different labels every day.
Brother P-Touch, PTH110

Thanks everyone. Just ordered a Brother P-Touch PTH111 from Amazon. And some laminated labels. Be here tomorrow.

I got an Epson LabelWorks LW-400, about 10 years ago. It has worked well.

It runs off batteries or an AC adapter power cord, but it does not come with a power cord. Batteries are a poor choice, at least or me. I don't make that many labels, and the batteries would die/corrode having printed only a small number of labels. I ended up getting a power cord - and now it is a good setup for my use.

Of course, whatever you get, the main rule of getting a label maker is that the first label should say "Label Maker" and go on the label maker box.

I make labels for lots of stuff ... I can read them ok, but they don't stick for long. I've had to put scotch tape over the labels to hold them on. ...
Too many variables to guess, but the substrate material is probably the biggest issue.

I do a couple of things: First I'll wipe the substrate and/or the adhesive face of the label with acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner, etc. Not to get it really wet, but to get it damp enough to soften the adhesive and get a better bond. (Probably not a good idea if the substrate is soluble in whatever you choose. A distant second choice is isopropyl alcohol. It is usually safe and it cleans the substrate of oils but it does not soften the adhesive.

Second, I'll do as you do but use Scotch Super-Hold Tape, which also protects the lettering on the label.

Another owner here of a Brother label printer.

Back
Top Bottom