Lactic acid buildup in the muscles

teetee

Full time employment: Posting here.
After a long run or intensive yard work what would you do to reduce the muscle soreness:

- Nothing specifically. Wait it out
- Give it the ice bath
- Put a heating pad on the spot.
- Painkillers

I ask the question because I see conflicting arguments from Google search. The muscle soreness is caused by lactic acid buildup, not inflammation. I would think #2 and #4 would not help. #3 would relax the muscle and expand the blood vessels for more efficient lactic acid removal from the area.

Would be nice to hear about the real world experience.

I pretty much wait it out, maybe use a foam roller, definitely take a walk and stretch to keep bloodflowing. If I'm particularly sore I may take ibuprofen but usually only when going to bed so it doesn't bother my sleep -and seems to help with restless legs when they ache.

I've never done anything for sore muscles caused by hard work - the soreness goes away on it's own.

I pretty much wait it out, maybe use a foam roller, definitely take a walk and stretch to keep bloodflowing. If I'm particularly sore I may take ibuprofen but usually only when going to bed so it doesn't bother my sleep -and seems to help with restless legs when they ache.
+1

I just wait it out.

I actually think the soreness feels kind of neat.

Wait it out, sleep, eat, avoid anything else strenuous, but do keep up gentle stretching and movement. Maybe an aspirin or similar to take the edge off. If it's still bad after 3 days, you've probably got an actual injury, so assess a doctor visit.

The lactic acid thing is not proven, and somewhat debunked in some studies.

I if feel sore after a heavy workout I walk/move it out and drink water/Gatorade/Powerade. For me the worst thing to do is to rest by immediately sitting for a while.

I if feel sore after a heavy workout I walk/move it out and drink water/Gatorade/Powerade. For me the worst thing to do is to rest by immediately sitting for a while.

+1

For me, some form of light exercise the next day seems to help.

Warmth and gentle stretching or massage work best for me, and based on my basic medical knowledge they would be what I would advise to others, too.

My top choices for sore muscles are always acupressure rollers and balls.

Our body builder gym trainer suggested On brand (Optimum Nutrition) Amino Energy drink for muscle recovery after strength training. We used to get terribly sore. We do think it helps. Amazon and Costo our our favorite vendors for it. About $45 for 65 servings. Many flavors but we like orange best. We downhill ski 60 days a year and when we used to overdo it we always referred to it as "Galactic Acid".

Hydrate and wait it out. Repeat as necessary. ;)

I am sore every day after Pickleball. I do a little posy play stretching but not much else.
I am more concerned with potential cramping, so while playing I drink 120 to 160 oz of mostly water and some gatorade.

If the measly amount of exercise I get results in sore muscles I do nothing and am proud of myself for the proof I moved a little. . .

I've had some success with massage using one of those new-fangled "impact" tissue massagers. Seems to help my low back muscles, but no idea about large-muscle applications. YMMV

Immediately after working out there may be excess lactic acid, but it is removed through metabolism and circulation. The soreness one feels a day or two after working out has been long thought to be due to micro tears in the muscle fibers which cause a little inflammation. Muscles respond by improved metabolism and increasing muscle mass. Lactic acid is both a metabolite and an energy source. But it doesn’t build up and stick around for days.

I just stretch and wait it out. I have found that in the past consistent but not excessive workouts eliminate the pain. So the answer to soreness is to move.

I used to swim for 45 minutes consistently along with some working out with weights, then switched to jogging, but the shin splints caused me to stop. I’ve been too much of a couch potato since the pandemic. This year’s goal is to lose more weight and becoming more of a gym rat.

If the measly amount of exercise I get results in sore muscles I do nothing and am proud of myself for the proof I moved a little. . .
I resemble and relate to that statement. :LOL:

I switched to a whole food, plant based lifestyle 4+ years back.

I can work out and am 1/10th as sore as I was pre-change. Lower inflammation. I have to really do some tough and repetitive strength activities to get sore.

Dairy and all related products are key contributors.

PS I know this will be unpopular, but there are different paths one can take if you WANT to. Good luck.

I use a massage gun when I feel discomfort the next day. (I am supposed to use a foam roller (or a massage gun) right after exercising but I always forget.) Discomfort/pain lessens pretty much right away, which always surprises me...

Not sure adolescent males are relevant, but I don't know if similar study has been done for old people. Apparently taking vitamin C before exercise will help...

MATERIAL AND METHODS:
Twenty recreationally active male adolescents were assigned to participate in the study. Eligible subjects performed strenuous recreational exercise (2-3 times per week) were randomly divided into two groups: The vitamin C (VC) group that consumed 500 mg of capsulated vitamin C after breakfast for a period of 90 days and the placebo (PL) group that consumed identical capsules in form and aspect that contained 500 mg of maltodextrin for the same period. Aspartate aminotransferase (AST), creatine kinase (CK), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) were assessed for muscle damage. Malondialdehyde (MDA) was evaluated as a marker of lipid peroxidation. Plasma creatinine, uric acid and urea were determined to monitor kidney function. C-reactive protein, a marker of systemic inflammation was also measured.

RESULTS:
In comparison between PL and VC groups, the plasma concentrations of muscle damage markers, oxidative stress markers, kidney function and inflammatory markers showed no significant difference in their baseline values (P > 0.05). The plasma concentrations of CK, LDH, MDA, urea, uric acid and CRP were significantly decreased in the VC group (P < 0.05) as compared to their values before the intake of vitamin C.

CONCLUSION:
The present results support the intake of vitamin C as an antioxidant for attenuating exercise-induced muscle damage, oxidative stress and inflammatory markers in male adolescents performing the strenuous physical activity.

Keep moving with light activity and keep hydrated. I would only take ibuprofen in extreme cases.

Back
Top Bottom