Laptop Runs a Bit Hot

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just got a fixer upper used (new to me) laptop.

A Dell Latitude E5430 to be exact. For what I paid, it's a decent laptop.

But the biggest issue I have is it runs on the hot side. Is that a common issue with this laptop model? I'll probably have to replace the thermal paste on the cpu/heatsink as that can make a big difference.

Looking at the vents, I think there's a poor design as on the bottom case, there are vents which I assume is for the air to escape so the palm rest doesn't get too hot. But the effect is warm/hot air ends up flowing towards my chest and neck :(.

I've had a Dell Latitude and several other brands of laptops. All of them seemed to put off a fair amount of heat. The term "laptop" is a bit ironic. After 15 minutes of use, my lap definitely does not like the device sitting there.

I had a laptop that ran hot and I would use a pad with a fan that the laptop sat on and plugged into the USB port.

When I replaced my laptop, I got one that is fanless... a little more money but well worth it... never an overheating problem and it's probably the best laptop that I've ever had.

You might need BIOS update. Enter the tag into Dell site and download the latest BIOS.

Also check the BIOS for fan settings.

You can install a fan-monitoring app so you can gather data.

You might need BIOS update. Enter the tag into Dell site and download the latest BIOS.

Also check the BIOS for fan settings.

You can install a fan-monitoring app so you can gather data.

Did the BIOS update this morning. Didn't seem to make a difference.

I've read where people complained about that model's fan turn on then not turn off, thus constant fan noise.

The system I running on the laptop is Manjero (Linux). I did look at a sensor and hardware info app. At first I thought the fan didn't turn on at all as fan was showing 0 rpm. So, I started a DVD movie and did see RPMs.

As for actual temps, idle temp I've seen in the idle temp climb as high as 70 degrees celsius (fan doesn't spin during the idle). 70 c I think the heat wouldn't be so bad if not the vent under the palm rest which ends up rising towards me.

I had a Dell portable that failed due to an overheated GPU. I found a new replacement motherboard on ebay for about $18. I read somewhere that the heat transfer pads Dell uses are not sufficient in some cases. So during reassembly, I replaced them with copper shims of appropriate thickness and thermal paste both sides.

I assume you took the back off the laptop and made sure its free of any smutz @ the vents and fan? I use a Dell Latiitude 6440 with Manjaro on it and its as cool as could be. The fan hardly ever cranks up.

Did the BIOS update this morning. Didn't seem to make a difference.

I've read where people complained about that model's fan turn on then not turn off, thus constant fan noise.

The system I running on the laptop is Manjero (Linux). I did look at a sensor and hardware info app. At first I thought the fan didn't turn on at all as fan was showing 0 rpm. So, I started a DVD movie and did see RPMs.

As for actual temps, idle temp I've seen in the idle temp climb as high as 70 degrees celsius (fan doesn't spin during the idle). 70 c I think the heat wouldn't be so bad if not the vent under the palm rest which ends up rising towards me.
I used this app to fix Dell notebook cooling/fan problems.
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

If you can find something similar for Linux, it will be a great help to you.

Sometimes the power management in Windows 10 is better than Linux on the laptops.

If the CPU/GPU unit is generating excess heat, that could be a design/component sourcing phenomenon. If it is fan management, or signaling, that is another issue.

I used this app to fix Dell notebook cooling/fan problems.
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

If you can find something similar for Linux, it will be a great help to you.

I went though that journey :popcorn: awhile back looking for something similar to Speedfan on my other Linux laptop several months ago. Had no luck.

I'm going to try the change thermal paste first approach.

I bet this Dell, which is probably about 7 years old, has never had a thermal paste replace done.

Took a peek at the thermal paste on my laptop. Sure looks like it could use a change as from the picture, seems like there isn't much making contact between the CPU and heat sink.

I haven't applied the new paste yet. Waiting on a rechargeble air blower to first blow off some dust from the fan.

Unlike my ThinkPad T420s where I have to pretty much take everything apart to access the cpu/heatsink, The Dell E5430 give easy access by just removing the back panels and a few screws :cool:.

Attachments

• dell  panels off.jpg
    dell panels off.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 14
  • dell fsu.jpg
    dell fsu.jpg
    563.8 KB · Views: 13
Took a peek at the thermal paste on my laptop. Sure looks like it could use a change as from the picture, seems like there isn't much making contact between the CPU and heat sink.

I haven't applied the new paste yet. Waiting on a rechargeble air blower to first blow off some dust from the fan.

Unlike my ThinkPad T420s where I have to pretty much take everything apart to access the cpu/heatsink, The Dell E5430 give easy access by just removing the back panels and a few screws :cool:.
That is exactly what I like about Dell business Laptops - everything is very accessible by taking the back cover off. Before my Dell days I had an Asus laptop. I had to disassemble the whole damn thing just to change the BIOS battery.

That is exactly what I like about Dell business Laptops - everything is very accessible by taking the back cover off. Before my Dell days I had an Asus laptop. I had to disassemble the whole damn thing just to change the BIOS battery.

The ease of access was the main attraction why I got this Dell model.

After cleaning off the old and replacing with new thermal compound, the laptop now runs cooler. I estimate about 20% cooler :dance:.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom