Learning Spanish

Dancer373

Recycles dryer sheets
Mods I have searched for a thread or post on this subject but couldn't find one. please move if needed. I would like to learn Spanish and would welcome suggestions about how to learn on my own. If you have tried any programs and found them helpful or not I'd like to hear about it. Thanks in advance.

Mods I have searched for a thread or post on this subject but couldn't find one. please move if needed. I would like to learn Spanish and would welcome suggestions about how to learn on my own. If you have tried any programs and found them helpful or not I'd like to hear about it. Thanks in advance.
I use a free online Spanish program called duo lingo. You can download it to smartphone or computer. Duolingo.com

I took a 10-week class at the local community college, and also listened to Pimsleur CDs while I was driving. Went to Mexico the week after the class ended, and I had a blast. So much more fun when I could communicate, even if still at a very basic level.

I had a thread about learning Russian, and someone told me about the sites [FONT=&quot]Conversationexchange.com, italki.com. italki.com has some free conversation exchanges or good value private lessons on skype, some with qualified teachers and some with 'community' tutors. I haven't retired yet so haven't used them yet, but they look really good.[/FONT]

I also want to learn Spanish and started with DuoLingo and one other program. However, I also am taking private lessons for one hour two times a week. I found that the internet based programs are good for vocabulary, particularly nouns, but that having a real person help with learning verbs and their various tenses was much better than the internet

My wife is on her way to semi-fluency in Spanish. She likes Duolingo and Rosetta Stone. And she has taken a few courses as well.

We have had a place in the Baja since 1989, so we are embarrassingly late in learning the locals language. Once I ER, I am going to make a concerted effort to learn Spanish.

Veintemundos.com is a great, free site for intermediate learners. "Slow News in Spanish" requires a subscription, but is very nice (they have French and Italian versions too.)

Veintemundos.com is a great, free site for intermediate learners. "Slow News in Spanish" requires a subscription, but is very nice (they have French and Italian versions too.)
This is a great idea. Topical stuff, with little slang.

A fellow in Azerbaijan wanted to learn English by listening to the BBC and CNN news, but they talked too fast for him. The local British embassy has a link to a similar service in English, which I passed on to him.

apologies for hijacking the thread

My wife is on her way to semi-fluency in Spanish. She likes Duolingo and Rosetta Stone. And she has taken a few courses as well.

We have had a place in the Baja since 1989, so we are embarrassingly late in learning the locals language. Once I ER, I am going to make a concerted effort to learn Spanish.
Sea Kayaker, as an old hand, where would you suggest for a long-term stay in Baja? From your handle, I imagine you might be partial to the Sea of Cortez.

Sea Kayaker, as an old hand, where would you suggest for a long-term stay in Baja? From your handle, I imagine you might be partial to the Sea of Cortez.

Well, our place is in Los Cabos, at the very southern tip of the Baja Peninsula. Definitely within the "touristy" areas - though we are in the quieter town of San Jose del Cabo vs the raucous Cabo San Lucas. If you prefer contemplative solitude, I would check out the East Cape which is up the Sea of Cortez side of the peninsula. My wife and I like to take a Jeep and explore this largely untouched area once in a while - miles and miles of white sand beaches with not a soul to be seen. There are quite a few "off grid" places you can rent long term here.

For our particular hobby, the Sea of Cortez is much preferable to the wild and woolly Pacific side.... though the town of Todos Santos is a beautiful jewel to visit on that side of the Baja.

One time I was in France for about ten days (what a great country!). I was way down south, far from Paris.

I forgot all the French I'd learned except this (don't beat on me for misspelling):

"Je suis Americain
Je ne parle pas Francais
Parlez-vous Anglais?"

They'd ask:

"En peu?"

I'd raise my arms to indicate "no". The rest of the conversation was just smiling at each other :)

Back
Top Bottom