Leave Deck Furniture Outside for Winter? (Minnesota)

Great suggestions everybody. The chairs do not stack. I'll probably bring them inside as they can be lined up against a wall and not take up too much space.

I'll see if I can easily remove the glass top and if so, bring it inside and store it on edge as suggested. That way I don't need to buy cover for the table.

Hi Q, MN sufferer also. We used to also store ours in the basement, but now in our 70's that is impractical. We put the chairs tilted up against the table, put tarp over, use bungee cord cord under the chair. We used to run a bungee under the table but have stopped that. One year there were high winds and the tarp filled up and blew the table off the deck. Since then we put bricks or weights on the table and that took care of that. Just covered it this week and now wonder if we did it too soon (60's this week?). Good luck and hope we have a mild and short winter.

I store the chairs covered under the deck. The table is too big to move so we keep it covered. We put an upside down flower pot on the table and then put the cover over that so that it better sheds water and snow. I put a coat of car polish on the top exposed painted aluminum before covering it because the cover leaks. Everything looks great the next spring.

Anything with fabric comes inside, not because we're worried about weather, but rather, mice.

We covered everything one year and found multiple nests and chewed up sections in the spring. Now it comes inside.

Covers work great and protect the furniture during winter months. After saying that I do store mine in shed. The reason being is I don't like to shovel around the furniture, and I need the area clean from snow.

I put our table and chairs in the garage - chairs on the top shelf of a shelving unit, table underneath. Only way that I could store them inside due to space constraints.

If I kept them outside under covers, I'd have critters taking up residence under the covers.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 7.49.20 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 7.49.20 AM.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 8
I put our table and chairs in the garage - chairs on the top shelf of a shelving unit, table underneath. Only way that I could store them inside due to space constraints.

If I kept them outside under covers, I'd have critters taking up residence under the covers.

Nice garage! <jealous>

Is that the old garage fridge you're fixing?

The glass top was not easily removed, so I opted to get a cover for it. The top measured 48" in diameter, not my previous 52" eyeball estimate, so I got a cover that fits the table itself and does not hang down to the ground to cover the chairs (which wouldn't have worked anyway with my hi-back chairs.)

The cover has an elastic band around the perimeter plus two elastic straps that connect underneath the table with adjustable push on buckle connectors. $31.99 at Amazon. Fits like a glove.

Patio-Table-Cover.jpg

Back
Top Bottom