Life Insurance and Tax Question

garyt

Full time employment: Posting here.
So my Dad who is 99 evidently out lived his life insurance and they cut him a check for the total amount. Is this taxable income for him?

Depends. Is it more than he paid in premiums or less? I think I know the answer.

I annuitized my policy. They write me a check every month. The part of that that was returning my premiums is not taxed. The part that is above that is taxable. I suspect that your dad's is a similar case. You should be able to get the correct answer from the insurance company as how much will be reported as taxable.

Part of it will be taxable income for him.

His taxable gain will be the proceeds from the policy less the premiums paid. I cashed in a 46 year old whole life policy a few months ago and the gain was 70% of the cash value.

Did they withhold tax?

The insurance company should be able to tell you the taxable gain. Mine was in the paperwork that I received on the surrender.

Last edited:
Part of it will be taxable income for him.

His taxable gain will be the proceeds from the policy less the premiums paid. I cashed in a 46 year old whole life policy a few months ago and the gain was 70% of the cash value.

Did they withhold tax?

The insurance company should be able to tell you the taxable gain. Mine was in the paperwork that I received on the surrender.

Yea, no info in the check he got. I'll give them a call.

Back
Top Bottom