Like a raisin in the sun?

MJ said:
If you believe in karma then your "small" sacrifice will be rewarded in kind. You never know, perhaps your DW like Diane Keaton in Baby Boom, may start a home grown business while taking care of her baby. You may have the misfortune of having to retire even earlier than you ever dreamed. ;)

MJ
brewer12345 said:
Laurence, I think you will find that having DW at home is the way to go with Tori and you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner. I also really doubt that it will impact your FIRE date that much.

...After she quit, she had time to get stuff done on the house, start up her part time business (gross 5 to 10k a year) to keep her active in her field, and generally take care of things that we would have had to pay someone to do. When she had our daughter, she had the time to spend with her.

I thought I'd update this thread: I had no doubt about your two comments, but I didn't expect such quick fruition! DW made her intentions clear to the bosses on Friday, and caused quite a stir! Long story short, there is an emergency meeting on Monday to hammer out a consulting agreement so she can work from home, prolly 10 hours a week. In addition, her former boss is now a VP at a small start up and called her to inqire about consulting a bit for him, too! Needless to say, DW is very excited to get the best of both worlds. Leaving a career she loved was sad for her, this has been an great turn of events.

What wonderful news--congrats to your wife for being a great wife, mother, and employee! You guys are more like grapes fermenting into fine wine in aged French oak barrels at a California winery with a great wine-maker, a beautiful view, and daily tasting 1-4pm... then like raisins in the sun.  8)

Laurence said:
I thought I'd update this thread:  I had no doubt about your two comments, but I didn't expect such quick fruition!  DW made her intentions clear to the bosses on Friday, and caused quite a stir!  Long story short, there is an emergency meeting on Monday to hammer out a consulting agreement so she can work from home, prolly 10 hours a week.  In addition, her former boss is now a VP at a small start up and called her to inqire about consulting a bit for him, too!  Needless to say, DW is very excited to get the best of both worlds.  Leaving a career she loved was sad for her, this has been an great turn of events.

Sweet! I am glad things worked out so well. I think in many ways, we make our own opportunities when we choose/need to. Just make sure that your DW doesn't get so bound up in consulting work that whe misses out on time for Tori.

Back
Top Bottom