Limiting wind movement to newly planted shrubs

statsman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
We're about to replace a few shrubs that were a temporary solution this year. We had limited plant options after the storm of the century here in Central Texas back in February 2021.

We're about to plant a couple Abelia and Loropetalum that are in 3-gallon containers. Normally, shrubs of this container size have reasonably sturdy main trunk and root systems. But a lot of the growers are playing catch-up this year due to a lot of plant replacement around the country. So, these shrubs are a bit less developed than usual.

Even in the containers, I can see that modest winds cause the plants to whip around a bit. The containers limit how much movement there is at the root crown and main trunk, but once they are out of the containers, this movement will increase.

Has anyone else encountered this? Did you do anything special to protect the shrubs once they were in the ground? I see these types of plants in the surrounding neighborhood, so I know they grow here. It's just a matter of protecting them from whipping around in the wind for the first few months.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom