Location search

redjr

Confused about dryer sheets
Looking for a location to which to retire. Appreciate advice and insight on how to evaluate locations. Have listed some criteria but looking for advice on how to evaluate or go about looking at a area once you select afew. Looking in Mid-Atlantic, near east coast.

city-data.com is a pretty good site to use for info. I find those "Best Places to Retire" lists to be pretty worthless since they probably don't match my criteria. Since it sounds like you are looking fairly close to home, take trips, but don't live as a tourist. Try to view it as a local, and do a few things you might normally do, like go to a library, for example.

Hi redjr, and welcome to the forum.

Once you have selected a handful of places that seem the most attractive to you, I think it helps to start spending your vacations visiting them.

When you are there, perhaps you can spend your days as you might when you are retired. For example, if you are interested in golf or going to the gym, then you could play a little golf and go look at some gyms. Other ideas while you are there are to get a haircut, go to church, check out the grocery stores, and attend real estate open houses.

At any rate, good luck in your search for a great retirement location. :)

Looking for a location to which to retire. Appreciate advice and insight on how to evaluate locations. Have listed some criteria but looking for advice on how to evaluate or go about looking at a area once you select afew. Looking in Mid-Atlantic, near east coast.

Once you have a 'final' location chosen, it's suggested that you get a rental apartment there for 6 months or so. This will give you a more accurate feel of what it's like to LIVE there, rather than just visit.

After that, if you still like it there, you can opt to move. Otherwise, you can go to location B and repeat the process.

omni

Hi redjr, and welcome to the forum.

Once you have selected a handful of places that seem the most attractive to you, I think it helps to start spending your vacations visiting them.

When you are there, perhaps you can spend your days as you might when you are retired. For example, if you are interested in golf or going to the gym, then you could play a little golf and go look at some gyms. Other ideas while you are there are to get a haircut, go to church, check out the grocery stores, and attend real estate open houses.

At any rate, good luck in your search for a great retirement location. :)
+1 on this. I find that the very granular particular aspects of a place are extremely important. Not only are different cities different from one another, but within each city there are many different and often highly differentiated neighborhoods. And of course there is the city/suburb/countryside issue too.

I think the chances of just moving off somewhere, pinning the tail on the donkey, and being happy may be remote.

Ha

Hi redjr, welcome. Relocating is a very common theme around here, as is discussing where to live. Try searching the archives so you can read past threads on this.

Thanks for your ideas. Spending some vacation time is a good idea. To test the area I'll try to find a box of nails at 3 pm Saturday afternoon and parts for a toilet on Sunday morning. It never fails that some harry homeowner project has unforeseen needs.
I agree with your assessment of the 'top 10' sites. One site asked questions and provided recommendations based on responses. It recommended the area from which I want move!

Back
Top Bottom