Looking for a good way to invest old 401k

wwilhoit

Confused about dryer sheets
was looking at diferent annuities trying to keep it somewhat safe while making money as well. are annuities good or is there a better way? and are there any annuity programs anyone would recommend I'm still a young 44 and the old 401k has 26000 in it have another but can't move it. thanks

If it truly is an "old" 401(k), please explain why you can't move it. Or did you mean that you can't move your other 401(k)?

At your age, I doubt an annuity is really what you should do, but it is a possibility. Other possibilities are a stable value fund, a certificate of deposit, maybe some US Treasury bills, etc all of which would be more than somewhat safe. Why pay the expenses of an annuity and saddle yourself with the early withdrawal problems?

In essence, you roll over you old 401(k) into an IRA and select the investment(s) that fits into your overall portfolio and asset allocation plans. You may also wish to read the thread started by dex "Going to 100% cash".

yes I meant the other one as I'm still working there but my old one I can and want to move to try and make money on my money leaving where it is doesn't seem to make much sense anymore.

Nothing all that wrong with leaving it in the old 401k if it has decent investment choices. Too early for an annuity, and the annuity return is probably too low right now too. If you don't like your investment choices in the 401k, roll it over into an IRA at a discount broker. That will expand your choices.

Are you a super conservative investor, as in money market, stable value fund, or CD's? You might get a more specific response if we know what you're looking for.

A 401k is protected from lawsuits (except divorce). An IRA may not be, depending on the state.

Back
Top Bottom