Looking for a simple solution to watch Paramount, etc on TV?

qwerty3656

Full time employment: Posting here.
I use the kids old Xbox360 hooked up to an HDMI port to watch Netflix, Prime, and Hulu, but there does not appear to be an app for Paramount. So do I have to go buy a ROKU box or something? The TV is not a "smart" TV (it does have hdmi ports though). I know I could hook my laptop up to an HDMI port, but I'm thinking that is too much of a headache (unless maybe there is some wireless or local area network way to have the TV talk to my laptop?)

Edit: I have DISH Hopper which also has channels for Netflix and Prime

Last edited:
Consider upgrading to a Smart TV. Yes, it will cost a little money, but you'll get apps for everything and more options, like casting from your phone to the TV, for example. Our most recent TCL purchase is a Roku TV and is very nice.

If you're not looking to invest in a new TV now, then pick up a Roku Express for $29 on Amazon. Not as wonderful as the more expensive models, but will run all the same apps and not cost much.

I use the kids old Xbox360 hooked up to an HDMI port to watch Netflix, Prime, and Hulu, but there does not appear to be an app for Paramount. So do I have to go buy a ROKU box or something? The TV is not a "smart" TV (it does have hdmi ports though). I know I could hook my laptop up to an HDMI port, but I'm thinking that is too much of a headache (unless maybe there is some wireless or local area network way to have the TV talk to my laptop?)

I'm not sure why an HDMI connection is a headache. Would it be worth paying 99c/month for Paramount+ even though you have it via TMobile? If so, you can add it as a channel to Prime.

Otherwise, would this work for casting your laptop screen to the Xbox? You said Xbox360 and this is for Xbox One, but maybe they support the same apps? https://www.onmsft.com/news/microso...een-to-an-xbox-one-and-it-works-with-pc-games

As a third option, do you have a BluRay player that supports Miracast? Or does your non-smart TV support it? How about Bluetooth on the TV?

I use Roku with Paramount Plus. Easy as pie.

This might help with Xbox360. I never touched one, so don't know if it works for you.
https://help.paramountplus.com/s/article/PD-How-can-I-stream-Paramount-on-my-Xbox

We have Paramount (what OP stated) included with Hulu+Live FWIW. But Paramount+ is different as you probably know.

We have Paramount (what OP stated) included with Hulu+Live FWIW. But Paramount+ is different as you probably know.
As you must know, I was hinting that OP should get a Roku and upgrade to Paramount Plus.

I'm not sure why an HDMI connection is a headache. Would it be worth paying 99c/month for Paramount+ even though you have it via TMobile? If so, you can add it as a channel to Prime.

Otherwise, would this work for casting your laptop screen to the Xbox? You said Xbox360 and this is for Xbox One, but maybe they support the same apps? https://www.onmsft.com/news/microso...een-to-an-xbox-one-and-it-works-with-pc-games

As a third option, do you have a BluRay player that supports Miracast? Or does your non-smart TV support it? How about Bluetooth on the TV?

[HDMI to laptop] - well my TV is in a cabinet so would need to prop my laptop nearby, would lose remote control access, would have to deal with sound - I know these are all 1st world problems, but it's certainly not seamless.

[Prime] As far as adding to Prime, it looks like the 99 cents is just for 2 months then you are at 9.99/month thereafter.

[Xbox] In terms of Xbox, everything I see is that you need something more advanced than an Xbox360

At this point, I think my best option is a Roku (or just not watch paramount which is probably the way I'm leaning)

As you must know, I was hinting that OP should get a Roku and upgrade to Paramount Plus.
And I always like to point out the [-]free[/-] no added cost options for consideration. ;)

Roku's are cheap and you might find you prefer it to your X-box. You can probably pick up a Roku Express on EBAY for about $25. I paid $10 for my last one direct from Roku about 6 months ago but that deal is long gone. If you want bells and whistles you will pay more, maybe $40-$50.
Normally if Roku wants you to upgrade they have special offers on the Home Screen of the TV but I just checked and they are not offering me anything so ask a friend or neighbor.

We use a Roku premiere that we bought many years ago and it delivers content in 4K from Paramount+ and other streaming services. Paramount+ (formerly CBS all access) costs us $59.99 per year.

I have a simple setup where I have an old inexpensive small computer HP 8300 ($99) connected to the HDMI port of my Vizio TV. I run everything thru this setup including paramount, music, personal computing, everything. Hardly ever use my Roku that is also connected to the TV.

Attachments

• 20220305_111834.jpg
    20220305_111834.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 23
I have a simple setup where I have an old inexpensive small computer HP 8300 ($99) connected to the HDMI port of my Vizio TV. I run everything thru this setup including paramount, music, personal computing, everything. Hardly ever use my Roku that is also connected to the TV.
Are those some old Magnepans? or perhaps Martin Logans?

[HDMI to laptop] - well my TV is in a cabinet so would need to prop my laptop nearby, would lose remote control access, would have to deal with sound - I know these are all 1st world problems, but it's certainly not seamless.

[Prime] As far as adding to Prime, it looks like the 99 cents is just for 2 months then you are at 9.99/month thereafter.

[Xbox] In terms of Xbox, everything I see is that you need something more advanced than an Xbox360

At this point, I think my best option is a Roku (or just not watch paramount which is probably the way I'm leaning)

This is the page for current pricing. We have Essential. Paid the yearly fee...
https://help.paramountplus.com/s/ar...lable-for-Paramount-and-how-much-do-they-cost

And the earlier link I posted shows how to install the correct app on xbox360.

When I went with the Paramount+ account last year I was unsure whether I'd use it. But it delivers UEFA soccer and some other shows we watch consistently.

In your final analysis, $50 or 60 for one year may not be worth the effort. It's just something you have to decide as the world of streaming gets more complicated.

Either way you'll be ok.

For me, the UI is extremely important. I avoid certain apps because they make it hard to FF/REW or skip forward or back once. Amazon Prime is pretty good, probably in the top three, and so I will only watch Paramount+ as an add-on to Prime Video. I wish I could get it through Netflix, as their interface is my favorite, but alas, they don't do that. (I barely tolerate the interface on Disney+ because they have content that I want badly enough, but if I could get it anywhere else, I'd dump them SO fast!)

Back
Top Bottom