New TV, what to buy?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
It's been a while since this discussion made the rounds here, we're seriously considering an upgrade, so I thought I'd take a pulse from those here more knowledgeable.

We have a then low end 2014 Samsung 55" 4K LED (60Hz refresh), and we use Roku's to watch Hulu+Live, Netflix, Apple TV+ and (me) lots of free YouTube. We do watch sports. We're not gamers. We have simple 2.1 sound system we turn on for concerts and movies only, not looking to go crazy with sound add ons.

I think I want a 65" Sony Bravia A80L OLED 4K XR processor - they're on sale for $1800 at several places right now, MSRP appears to be $2500. We want something bigger and better, but I don't want to pay for the absolute best, e.g. Bravia A95L. [My MO for most consumer electronics is to buy the second best versions and avoid the top premiums] From what I gather the Sony is better than comparable LG or Samsung TV's at least for non-gamers.

I want a reasonably great TV, we don't update that often (9 years this time) - not what's cheapest. Visio, Hisense, TCL no thanks WADR.

But I'm open to suggestions before I BTD.

Last edited:
I've been really happy with both Viso and TCL big screens. Pretty cheap, great pictures and reasonable sound. (I added a sound bar to our main TV in the living room, which helps) and lots of connection options too. I also have a big screen Samsung "curved TV", if you like that sort of thing. Gives a 3d effect.

Last edited:
Consider and compare the factors that are most important to you and your environment.

In my living room I sometimes watch from my kitchen, at a side angle. Occasionally I'll even watch from my loft above. But in my lower level my viewing angle is more more narrow. I don't know how brands and models are now, but a few years ago when I bought my living room TV I chose LG over Samsung and others for that reason.

If you watch a lot of movies or shows that are dark, black contrast (not sure that's the term) is an important factor. If you watch sports and sitcoms, not so much.

If you get sunlight glare that's another factor. I can't remember the name for that either. I'm just trying to point out that there is no best overall TV. You can get a TV that handles all of these great, but you might be paying more for it for factors that aren't important to you.

One more factor, kind of stupid, but if you are putting the TV on a stand, make sure the legs aren't too wide. I hate eliminating a TV for that reason but I don't want to replace furniture just to accommodate a wide TV stand. If you are mounting that doesn't matter, but weight could be a factor.

FWIW I bought a 65" Hisense a couple of years ago. We rarely watch tv, so it was used very little. It broke within the first year, and to their credit they sent out a couple of repairmen and fixed it. But then it broke again a few months after the warranty expired, so it's gonna go to the recycle bin. So I'm following this thread.

Consider and compare the factors that are most important to you and your environment.

In my living room I sometimes watch from my kitchen, at a side angle. Occasionally I'll even watch from my loft above. But in my lower level my viewing angle is more more narrow. I don't know how brands and models are now, but a few years ago when I bought my living room TV I chose LG over Samsung and others for that reason.

If you watch a lot of movies or shows that are dark, black contrast (not sure that's the term) is an important factor. If you watch sports and sitcoms, not so much.

If you get sunlight glare that's another factor. I can't remember the name for that either. I'm just trying to point out that there is no best overall TV. You can get a TV that handles all of these great, but you might be paying more for it for factors that aren't important to you.
Those are good suggestions. From what I've read OLED is far better than LED/LCD/mini LED for viewing at angles. And OLED is also better for true black and contrast. OLED is inferior to the various LED types in terms of brightness so not as good in a brightly lit setting or in sun - fortunately our family room isn't that bright. So hopefully we're on the right track with an OLED TV?

We already have a wall mount and we'll reuse that.

I would just get the size you want form Costco. They usually have a 5 year warranty at no extra cost. Their return policy is excellent.

Consumer Reports rates that Sony as a "smart buy" with an overall score of 83. However the Samsung QN65S90CD is the same price, is also a "smart buy" and outscores the Sony at 87. Where the Samsung significantly beats the Sony is in HDR performance.

We have a then low end 2014 Samsung 55" 4K LED (60Hz refresh)
You must have purchased one of the early 4K models from Samsung. We have two 2014 Samsung LED TVs, but they're 1080p panels with 120Hz refresh (native).

While we're not gamers, 120Hz refresh handles 24fps Blu-rays better than 60Hz refresh. 60Hz refresh requires 3:2 pulldown for 24fps sources, and I'm one of those individuals who picks up on the motion artifacts produced by 3:2 pulldown. I'm also someone who prefers a slightly higher refresh than 60hz on my computer monitor, so I'm currently using a 27" IPS monitor with 75Hz refresh.

If you can afford it and have any amount of 24fps Blu-rays, opt for a 120Hz refresh TV. I don't think I could go back to 60Hz.

Last edited:
Consumer Reports rates that Sony as a "smart buy" with an overall score of 83. However the Samsung QN65S90CD is the same price, is also a "smart buy" and outscores the Sony at 87. Where the Samsung significantly beats the Sony is in HDR performance.

^ I was composing a similar post when you beat me to the punch.

Midpack, note that a score of 87 is the highest awarded to any 65inch TV in CR's reviews. One area where the Sony rates "good" vs the Samsung's rating of "Excellent" is in High Dynamic Range, something that can really improve the quality of the picture.

Those are good suggestions. From what I've read OLED is far better than LED/LCD/mini LED for viewing at angles. And OLED is also better for true black and contrast. OLED is inferior to the various LED types in terms of brightness so not as good in a brightly lit setting or in sun - fortunately our family room isn't that bright. So hopefully we're on the right track with an OLED TV?

We already have a wall mount and we'll reuse that.

We got an LG OLED a few years ago and it is excellent. The only downside is it is not super bright. The room we have it in has 2nd story windows with no blinds, so can get kind of bright.

We recently got a cheap LED for another room and there is no comparison, on the cheap one, the picture is nowhere near as crisp, there is judder on fast moving scenes, the colors are not quite right.

So I recommend spending the money and getting the OLED since your room is not too bright.

I think I want a 65" Sony Bravia A80L OLED 4K XR processor - they're on sale for $1800 at several places right now, MSRP appears to be $2500.
Our 40" Sony TV has been around since 2006 or 2007 with no issues. I'm fairly sure we will buy another Sony, but don't have a lot of motivation to replace it before it breaks since a 55" TV is the largest that will fit the available space.

Sounds like it to me. I went with the LG C1 OLED last summer. I don't recall how I decided on LG over Sony.

It's been a while since this discussion made the rounds here, we're seriously considering an upgrade, so I thought I'd take a pulse from those here more knowledgeable.

We have a then low end 2014 Samsung 55" 4K LED (60Hz refresh), and we use Roku's to watch Hulu+Live, Netflix, Apple TV+ and (me) lots of free YouTube. We do watch sports. We're not gamers. We have simple 2.1 sound system we turn on for concerts and movies only, not looking to go crazy with sound add ons.

I think I want a 65" Sony Bravia A80L OLED 4K XR processor - they're on sale for $1800 at several places right now, MSRP appears to be $2500. We want something bigger and better, but I don't want to pay for the absolute best, e.g. Bravia A95L. [My MO for most consumer electronics is to buy the second best versions and avoid the top premiums] From what I gather the Sony is better than comparable LG or Samsung TV's at least for non-gamers.

I want a reasonably great TV, we don't update that often (9 years this time) - not what's cheapest. Visio, Hisense, TCL no thanks WADR.

I have that exact TV - except mine is the A80CK 65" - 2022 model that I just purchased from Costco about 3 months ago. It is a great TV, I was going to get an LG C2 similar version but decided on the Sony in the end. It has been a great TV. The sound from the built in speakers is amazing. When I purchased it it was on sale, then I watched the Costco website and they lowered the price by $200.00 so they refunded me the difference - win/win all around in my book... I figure I can't go wrong with the Costco 5 year warranty...

Any Samsung TV = no Dolby Vision, if that's important to the content you watch.

One more factor, kind of stupid, but if you are putting the TV on a stand, make sure the legs aren't too wide. I hate eliminating a TV for that reason but I don't want to replace furniture just to accommodate a wide TV stand. If you are mounting that doesn't matter, but weight could be a factor.

You can get stands now to replace those awful chicken feet TVs come with. That way they still fit on the furniture you are using.
https://www.amazon.com/FITUEYES-Uni...=Tabletop+Tv+Stand&qid=1696200062&sr=8-3&th=1

Another good source of reviews is rtings.com.

I would just get the size you want form Costco. They usually have a 5 year warranty at no extra cost. Their return policy is excellent.

Yes, no extra cost but the cost is much higher than the same TV elsewhere without the crammed warranty. If you want a warranty then yes, it's a good deal. If you don't typically buy extended warranties, it's a scam.

Costco. Hisense. 65 inch. Regular $399. Bought last year, sale. $349. Great picture.
Don't be fooled by the price. TV is really good,

Previously owned. Costco. Hisense. 55 inch. Which is why I'm sold on Hisense

Brother just bought. Costco. LG. 55 inch. $1300+. All newest features. My TV picture
is better than his. Brother did not want to buy "cheapie" TV. Wanted "name brand, label".

OLED for sure.

We’ve stuck with the LG models, but haven’t done any recent comparisons because we’ve been very happy with them. Both bought from Costco.

All our TVs are wall mounted. Living room one is mounted at eye level. 77”

Attachments

• IMG_2019.jpeg
    IMG_2019.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

I went through this process in excruciating detail last November. I settled on an LG C2. Before deep diving into the research Sony was my first choice but they get a premium price for their Sony nameplate. I would be paying $300 more for the same size TV to have the Sony name. Samsung was out because of their continued reported problems with buggy updates ruining the TV. Another reason Samsung was out was because at the time the largest Samsung was a 65" and I wanted at least a 75". Also, Samsung doesn't have Dolbyvision. And I loathe the Samsung Tizen OS.

You are on the right track with an OLED TV. The absolute best picture quality. Since you watch a lot of streaming services you will want great HDR and Dolbyvision performance. You will get that with the Sony.

Of the three big OLED manufacturers I like LG, Sony, and Samsung, in that order. I noticed that the Sony you are looking at uses an LG made OLED panel. You would be buying an LG panel with Sony electronics.

The main flaw in the Sony A80L OLED, and it would be a deal breaker for me, is that it only has two 2.1 HDMI ports. You said you don't game and you aren't going beyond a soundbar for a sound system, so you would likely be OK with this setup. However, it's not futureproof in this area so if gaming or a better sound system were in your future I'd pass on this one and get either the LG C3 or the next step up in a Sony with all four HDMI inputs being 2.1.

You are accustomed to the Roku operating system. The Sony will have the Google TV operating system. As a Roku user I don't think you will be happy with Google TV. Be prepared to buy a Roku Ultra or at least transfer one of your Roku sticks to the new Sony.

Are your certain you don't want to go bigger than a 65" TV? This is your chance to GO BIG. I went from a 55" to a 77" and after about a week I wished I had gone 83". If you are sitting 7 feet away or more, you could easily go bigger (if your room setup will allow it.) Do not dismiss the idea of going bigger out of hand. In fact, this was one of my deciding factors in getting the LG. Do I want a 77" LG or a 65" Sony for roughly the same price? No brainer for me. Bigger was better.

Here is a detailed comparison of the LG C3 vs. the Sony A80L.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/com...lg-c3-oled/39010/37848?usage=1&threshold=0.10

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom