Looking for some simple calculators

Charlie_Boy

Dryer sheet aficionado
Looking for some simple calculators and it seems that they must be around somewhere. For example, one where I pick a fund like Vanguard Wellesley, put in VWINX or VWIAX, a start date, an end date, amount, and it would tell me what it would be worth that end date. I know there are probably a few with bells and whistles, but something simple.

Charlie

... a start date, an end date, amount, and it would tell me what it would be worth that end date. ...
Wow. When you find such a calculator please let me know (but don't tell anyone else).

Looking for some simple calculators and it seems that they must be around somewhere. For example, one where I pick a fund like Vanguard Wellesley, put in VWINX or VWIAX, a start date, an end date, amount, and it would tell me what it would be worth that end date. I know there are probably a few with bells and whistles, but something simple.

Charlie

I presume you mean historical start date and historical end date, and not some future dates.

If so,

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio

Well, I guess you could look at past performance which is a possible marker for the future. Problem is that you should buy the market like VTI, VTSAX or any low expenses in FIDO or SCHWAB.
=

Last edited:
IF you just want to get an idea of a future value, at a given set rate of return, you can use the future value compounding formula:
FV=PV(1+i)^n [note n is an exponent]

FV = future value
PV = present value
i = interest rate
n = number of terms

For example $100K your present value, invested with anticipated return of 6% per year, compounded monthly, for 20 years would look like this:
FV = $100,000 (1.005)^240 = $331,020

But of course, any investments that have any market equity portion are not going to have an equal rate of return per year, and this calculation does not include any reinvested dividends. You can use it to determine a fixed income rate of return with known end result.

I haven't been there in a while but Morningstar used to have a calculator like, what I think you want

I'll presume OP is not really looking for a crystal ball and instead is looking for something like Portfolio Visualizer that has historical data and can help understand how different holdings have fared.

Wellesley returned (before taking inflation into account) 8.7% CAGR since 1985. After adjusting for inflation (CPI-W is easy to find back to 1974), the CAGR has been 5.9%.

Then OP would decide on whether that was representative of what will happen in the future, determine what return rate is reasonable going forward and use the future value formulas folks have provided.

Back
Top Bottom